Chapter 5

Gabriel POV

I'm happy that seemed to work out.

I was cooking in my kitchen. There was music playing and the room was filled with the smell of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. I was still wearing yesterday's clothes, skinny jeans, striped socks, and a light blue T-shirt.

My curls were messy. I combed my fingers through my hair, revealing the fresh bruise on my cheek. I was so glad its the weekend, I'll have a little time to heal and figure out what to do about Azrael. When he pinned me down earlier, I noticed his skin seemed to be even hotter than the night before and his face was a bit flushed. He might have a fever.

...Azrael...

He has such pretty eyes, a deep blood-red with flecks of gold. His pupils were round, but like a patient hunter. Like a lion's eyes. They had a certain depth to them, if one were to stare too long you could be lost.
And there was pain in them, too. Not only pain, there was loss, confusion, and anguish.

What had gone so horribly wrong that left his mind and body in such terrifying agony? Was he a victim? Or was he the recipient of justice for his own villainy? I know I'm too much of a coward to ask. Too scared to even contemplate the answer he might give me.

The corners of my lips turned downwards. I let out a tiny sigh.

My body still hurt a lot. I am well aware that I'm not without my own afflictions. I was so tired, and the way I slept last night doesn't help. Clutching my side I bent over the counter with a groan. My insides twisted and churned with unease, bile rose in my throat as my mind continued to race.

What if I just brought someone dangerous into the safety of my home.

The back of my neck felt a sudden warm tingling sensation. I settled my attention on the doorway where Azrael leaned against the frame, tail slowly sweeping the floor in a rhythmic gentleness. His arms crossed over his bare chest and was watching me with measured curiosity.

All worries melted away from my mind as I drew closer. I found in his eyes kindness, compassion, and gratitude. Though he looked big and intimidating, I know without a doubt I had nothing to fear. My face softened.

I never did give him a new shirt to wear after I cut up his old one. My eyes betrayed me and began trailing over his well built figure. His chest and shoulders were broad, his waist was tapered and sturdy. He was big and looked powerful.

My cheeks turned pink, the tips of my ears were probably red, too. I looked away. Somehow I managed to will myself to walk closer to him and slide by. His head turned slightly to watch me leave, and his long hair shifted around his face; spilling over his shoulders like fountains of black silk. His tantalizingly full lips parted ever so slightly, but I jerked my head to look away.

I charged up the stairs as lightly as I could. Grabbing a shirt from the store room, I went back down and stuck it out to him, keeping my gaze to the floor.

"Um, here. I'm sorry about your other shirt, it was too covered in blood and no longer wearable." My voice was almost a whisper.

There was a hesitation.

Then I felt him grasp it, his fingers momentarily brushing over mine.

"Thank you... Gabriel."

My head shot up. I wasn't expecting him to say anything, let alone my name.

A smile tickled my lips, and I nodded.

We ate breakfast in awkward silence. He sat stark straight in his seat, either out of discomfort or habit. I could feel his eyes burning a hole in my forehead. Then I heard him take a careful breath.