Chapter 1

Gabriel POV     

I kicked a rock that lay dormant on the dusty sidewalk, my shoe creating a scuffing noise. I walked with a slight limp, and dried blood cracked the skin on my lips. Today was yet another day of pain. My ribs had been kicked a little too hard, it hurts to breath. Lately, the beatings have gotten a lot harsher. What's worse, they destroyed my homework and I had to suffer the embarrassment of having to ask all of my teachers for a second copy. I don't exactly know what I did to make my bully hate me so much. Was it my looks? 

I thought I looked ok. Then again, I might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But, what happens will happen. Therefore, I have no reason to hold a grudge if it won't help change the situation. 

I disliked being alone with my thoughts on this long walk to the train station. But that always changed when I got in line. When I could hear the loud booming voice of the ticket lady in her little booth. Miss Betty was a rather hefty woman, with the prettiest dark skin. She always had her curly brown hair pulled into a tight bun. Most people were scared of her, but she was a wonderful friend and neighbor with good intentions, and a heart of gold to boot. She just didn't quite have a filter. She peeked out and scanned the line before she spotted me. Waving a strong arm in my direction, she bellowed. "HEY, RED!!!" I grinned and waved back.

 Once I got to her booth she plopped her large hand down on top of my head and ruffled my red curls. Then she lifted my chin and quickly inspected my face. " Boy, who's been beatin' on you again? You tell me, I'll go down there myself and whoop their lil' punk asses!" I tapped her hand lightly. "I'm fine, Miss Betty. Honest." 

"You ain't foolin' nobody when you got a black eye. And I told you to quit callin' me 'Miss', makes me sound like an old lady."   

I looked down at my feet while muttering my apologies. She sighed and chuckled lightly. "Boy, when you gonna get yourself a big, strong man?" Hearing that, I turned a bright shade of red.  I had no love life, no 'Big Strong Man'. And I didn't even have the courage to put myself out there. Yet this woman had such faith in me.

She finally handed me a train ticket and shooed me away with a strawberry flavored lollypop from a bowl under desk. I've noticed a pattern. Every time she see's me with a bruise, she gives me a sweet. 

It was a nice little 'pick-me-up'.

The train was packed today. Some pervert got up behind me and grabbed my rear end. Without thinking my leg came up and kicked him in the shins as hard as I could. He stopped after that. I knew I had a sort of feminine figure, but this was unacceptable. 

Just thinking about it now sends shivers down my spine. I normally take a short- cut through a long alleyway to get home, but it's rather dark. 

Once I made it out onto the sidewalk, I dragged in a deep breath. It was so quiet. Nothing but the sound of wind piercing the leaves and the occasional territorial crow. As I neared the first house in my neighborhood, I stopped and waited. Within a few minutes, someone opened their back door and shooed their golden retriever into the yard with a broom. I watch as he trotted over to the picket fence and sprung over it with relative ease. 

The fact that my neighbor's fence wasn't tall enough to keep their dog in the yard was a little secret that only the two of us knew about.

I bent down to scratch under his chin. "Hi, Bird." I cooed, while receiving happy licks. It was our daily routine. Every day after school, he'd jump the fence and walk me the rest of the way home. I enjoyed the company. And the extra protection. I spent the entirety of the walk home ranting to the dog about my day. I knew he didn't understand, but it was nice to have someone to talk to.  

I lived alone in a funny-looking Victorian house with blue shingles that my parents were nice enough to leave me when they disowned me. The top floor was significantly larger than the ground floor, making it appear top-heavy. I completely closed off my parents' room, my sister's room, and mine. Now I slept in the guest bedroom.  

They had decided to move to New York, and they took my little sister with them. I was sad to see her go, but I know they'll take good care of her; she's the favorite child. 

I hated my parents. 

My mother was a prisoner in her own body, just going through the motions of whatever my father told her in hopes of not angering him. She cried for me, but she could never protect me.

My father was terrifyingly cunning and cruel. Throughout the years, he'd convinced everyone he knew that he was a good and kind-hearted person. It was the farthest from the truth. 

That horrid man was responsible for destroying my memories.

Everything up until my thirteenth birthday was gone, somehow only able to retain basic knowledge and education. My mother said he'd bashed my head against the wall a bit too hard one night and put me in a temporary coma for three days. 

I think what scared me the most was that he didn't care.

He went straight back to beating me, only now I didn't know why. 

I feel that I've forgotten something far more precious than my childhood.

The garden in my tiny front yard was teaming with life and color. Yellow dragonsnappers, blue cornflowers, and baby's breath took up almost every inch of the lawn. White roses climbed up the porch pillars and curled around all the windows. It attracted honey bees and butterflies. There was a small path of white stepping stones I'd set myself leading to the front steps.

I'm glad their gone. Before, none of this was here. It was just a patch of dead, over-mowed grass. This house was cold and depressing. Without my best friend Eva, Miss Betty, and my aunt Friday, it would have stayed that way. I would have stayed that way.    

I unlocked the heavy wood door, stepped in, and pretty much deflated like a balloon. It took me months to get the cigarette smell out of everything. 

I was so tired. My cat, Clone Kitty, trotted up to me. I had found her five years ago, and it was like we were meant to be. She has a red pelt and the same pattern of heterochromia as me. 

My left eye is a sapphire blue, my right is an electric emerald color. 

I had just enough energy to heat up a bowl of instant ramen, shower, and collapse on my bed. Shuffling around, I took the pillows and fuzzy blankets and arranged them into a big comfy nest. A huff of satisfaction left me. Maybe one day I'll get a body pillow to coddle instead of going through all this work every night. 

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.   

Sleep came quickly.