Chapter 12

Gabriel POV

My father was a very large man, that in itself made him seem scary to people. Anyone that knew him, though, knew that he was nothing but a gentle and kind person. But it was what he hid from the clouded eye of the public that truly terrified me to my core. 

What he was capable of doing behind closed doors. 

All in the name of his philosophy and teachings.

I've been locked in this room for three days now, with no food or water, but that was nothing new. The pain was almost maddening. I don't even have the strength to cry anymore. My clothes were caked in dried blood.

The only  comfort I had was a strange, warm fuzzy feeling I had in my chest, a magnetic pull towards something or someone. A feeling of love and compassion from someone I never met, that was far far away. I knew this person only from a feeling, but I felt safer knowing they were still there. I wanted so badly to be with this stranger. Because I knew they would accept me no matter what. 

Imperfections and all.  

Every night my father would unlock the door and squat over me with a horrible grimace plastered on his face. He'd dig his fingernails into the wounds, tearing apart the healing flesh. My father would tell me if I screamed, he would kill me.

Wouldn't want the neighbors to hear.

Everyone knew this man as a kind and warmhearted person who wouldn't hurt a fly.

"You didn't deserve them and you never will. You are a sinner that will never be saved. I should have strangled you in your cradle had I known you would be so vile, wretched to even look at."

He said to me with such hate.

God.

Someone.

Anyone who's listening.

Please save me from this existence, for I don't have the strength to save myself.

My consciousness snapped awake with a jolt, morning light flooded my vision; my face was wet with fresh tears. The warm fuzzy feeling was stronger than it was before, I smiled and sighed with contentment. Azrael's chest rose and fell beneath my head, my body still curled against his torso. His arms draped loosely around my waist. It was so nice and warm. 

I felt safe.

Something tickled the top of my hand. I turned my head and met with a furry little face. Clone Kitty purred like a motor, happily doing her little 'patty paw' kneading dance on Azrael's forearm. She was so happy, she started drooling. 

"Aww, hello little face. Come here, let me love you." 

I scooped her up and she fashioned herself into a loaf shape, bumping her head against my mouth, asking for kisses. Azrael moaned sleepily, hugged me closer and rolled over; trapping me between him and the back of the couch. The cat managed to get away. His body pressed and molded against mine. He breathed into my hair with a huff of satisfaction, sending a tingling sensation over my scalp and down my spine. 

"Hey, are you awake?" 

He gently shook his head. 

"Nuh uh~."

I fanned my hand out over the center of his broad chest. His muscles flexed as he shifted me a little in his arms. Azrael took my chin and guided my face up to meet his stunning eyes. He touched his fingertips to my wet cheek, his eyebrows slightly raised with concern.