Stay close

Jack's POV

The slight noise of someone’s footsteps slowly approaching the bed. I slightly open my eyes and look around but the only thing I can see is a figure that moves away from the door, only source of light, disappearing into the darkness of the room, I look around trying to see where the figure is now but the dim light coming from the door only allows me to see figures that aren't well defined and that at the eyes of a little kid could seem terrible monsters.

I shudder and unintentionally slowly move Jaden closer to me as if to protect him even if I know that the person who just entered the room doesn't represent a threat to us...
All of a sudden he turns on the lamp that is placed on the nightstand on his side of the bed and lays down next to us, he gently kisses me on the forehead and I can't help but smile, he then looks at Jaden who's sleeping while holding a part of my shirt with his little hand.

"Hey honey" I murmur.

"Hey, so you've been here the whole time since you left dinner?" he asks trying to keep low his tone of voice as he realizes that I don't want to wake up Jaden.

"Actually no, I came here after that I spent some time with Jaden because I felt tired and I had to bring him with me since every time that I left him in his room he started crying like a desperate anyway what did you do?" I then demand.

"After dinner I talked with Hunter but then he had to go so he left with your parents and his kids. Instead my father stayed here, he's in the guest room now" he answers.

"If I may ask, what did you talk about and what do you think of him?" I ask, his answer to the second question is important because Hunter is complicated and not everyone enjoys to have him around because of his way of being and maybe it could bother Jethro...

"We talked about ehm...past...and he's uhm...he's...I can't find the right word" he answers.

Past? They really talked about the past? From this I assume that Hunter somehow made him open up a little even though I didn't think that that could've been possible but after all they're more similar than they think so well...in the end it’s so possible.

"Weird?" I ask even though I don't like to define him in that way.

"No Jack, not weird...uhm...he's particular" he says after some minutes.

"If I have to be honest being like him isn't the best thing...or at least from my point of view" I mutter as I start thinking about the past and it makes me feel a little angry but at the same time sad.

"Why? I mean is way of thinking is great" he demands.

"Jethro, it's not that, it's the process of becoming like that that to Hunter costed his mental health and not everyone is able to become like him, I mean having is way of thinking and stuff...
He became like this when he was way younger and everything started because of a thing that brought him to not have friends in a moment that was already bad for him because of the family problems we had that ended up affecting also us but us he says family problems stay in the family and those things have to be solved in the family between the people involved so I'm not going to tell them...but what I can say is that he always tried his best to keep our family together and he made it. At some point he started to feel guilty because he started feeling like if he was the cause of why our family was falling apart and there are many reasons for that anyway he wrote us a letter saying that he felt sorry and that he would've done his best to repair to his errors...the Christmas of that year he gave a letter just to me where he said some stuff but uhm...that's another story..." I stop talking when I feel some tears sliding down my cheeks.

Jethro stands up, he picks up Jaden and slowly puts him in the bedside crib trying to not make him wake up. I shut my eyes tight and all of a sudden I feel his arms around me, it seems like a trap I pull back to try to get away from that embrace, I don't want him to see me like this, experiencing a pain I can't fight, memories that I'm not able to deal with.
Other memories that I tried to keep away in this period begin to surface in my mind like a monster that’s been dormant for so long...
The day in which I found out that I was pregnant with Faith, getting to know hat happened before that and, yeah...the first person to whom I told it was Hunter, he tried to do his best to help me and I'm so thankful that during that period I had him by my side, constantly trying to reassure me.

"Jack, calm down, take some deep breathes, I'm here to help you not to hurt you" he says in a soft tone of voice as he keeps an arm around me and passes his hand up and down my back.

"H-Hunter was there for me during my hardest moments...but...but I wasn't there for him during his, I didn't h-help him.." I say as I burst into tears again while I try to do what he said.

Jethro kisses me on the forehead softly then he makes me lay on him and I sank my face into his chest in search of reassurance.
He keeps slowly passing his hand up and down my back with that gentle touch of his and somehow that makes me feel safe and I'm finally able to chase those bad memories away, for now...
Jethro always makes me find peace in the silence, in those moments in which we look in each others eyes and all the bad things fade away, there's just him and I.

"You know what? Maybe you helped him but you don't know it" he whispers in my ear breaking the silence.

"Yeah, maybe you're right" I raise my head and smile slightly at him then I hug him tight.

"I love you" he says and kisses me on the cheek a few times.

"I love you too" I say as I keep smiling.

These words followed by the complete silence, us getting lost in that warm embrace that every time I wish it doesn't end because it brings so much comfort.

"We should decorate the tree for Christmas and well...try to decorate a little also the house" I say as I remember that we still haven't prepared anything for Christmas.

"Christmas who? Now? What?" he probably forgot about all this too but I think it's normal, we've been so concentrated on things that regarded Jaden before his birth and then we just spent time all together.

"Yeah Jethro, Christmas will be in two weeks" I say and run my hand through his hair.

"Well, uhm...we could try to decorate next Saturday" he says and it sounds a good idea since during the week he'll be at work and...thinking about this, I know that I'll miss him so much.

"That's a solution" I say.

Our conversation is interrupted from the sound of Jaden's weeping, I look at Jethro, he looks back and after a few seconds I don't feel his arms around me so I move away from him, I slowly sit up and pick Jaden up then I start breastfeeding him.
After a little while, I stop breastfeeding Jaden and I make him lay on Jethro's chest then I lay next to them.
I look at them and what I see is my whole world, it's such a blessing to have both of them and I couldn't be more thankful for all this even though I know that it'll be a hard journey full of highs and lows and it'll test our relationship but I know that we'll be able to overcome everything together.

"If someone back then would've told me that this is what I would've had in the future, I wouldn't have believed it...this is too perfect" I say and smile slightly at them then I put my finger near Jaden's hand and he puts his little fingers around it.

"And I never thought that I would've had a second chance.." Jethro says and looks at me with a little smile on his face.

"You deserved a second chance" I say and kiss him on the cheek, he puts his hand on Jaden's back and looks at him.

I look at Jethro and the way he looks at Jaden makes my heart melt every time, it seems like if he's looking at the most precious thing he has but well...I think that to him Jaden is really one of the most precious things he has.
He lifts him up a little and Jaden smiles.

"Our little heart" I say as I look at Jaden.

"Thank you for all this Jack" he whispers in my ear and then I feel his lips against mine, a kiss and I close my eyes.