PART TWO: CHAPTER FOUR

Three months after Linda Lere foamed at the mouth and burst into flames, people were still afraid of me at work.

The news spread far and wide beyond the office, judging by how my favourite Zobo drink seller behaved. She trembled each time she gave me an extra large cup-free of charge. Her fruit juice bar was a fifteen minute walk from my office, obviously she got the newsflash.

With my wedding preparation in full swing, I was grateful for the space people gave me. Even if it meant ordering for meals instead of enduring fearful looks at the staff eateries. After all, discussions about colour codes, venues and catering wore me out. I needed all the peace and quiet I could get.

To be honest, I could understand the terror. Was it fair? Absolutely not. Linda is the one who mistook my meekness for weakness. She is the one who used an occult spell that backfired. My conscience was clear, and my heart was glad when she confessed her evil motives. According to her, she was eligible for my position but the Governor appointed me. If I were eliminated, she would slip into her 'rightful place.'

Seriously? I had the academic and work cred for the job, and did not bend over for any political chieftains like she did. Linda was envious and thought that 'Americana' would be an easy target.

Isonu. Ko mo pe omode o kin ni ina si'le ki t'ode ma jo.

Unfortunately for her, she was now resting in pieces. Gone too soon.

"TenTen, I have something I'd like to tell you," my mum said. Her gentle voice interrupted my thoughts.

Dear God, I hope she isn't hearing strange voices too, I silently prayed. "Yes ma'am?" I rested my head on her shoulder and put my arm around her. We sat in front of my house, on a bamboo rocking chair facing my front yard. Her warmth and rose scent were comforting in what my complicated life had become.

"I'm seeing someone," Mum said in a hurry. She let out a deep breath and looked straight ahead. It was obvious that telling me was a huge weight off her shoulders.

I sat up and placed my hands in my lap. "Who?"

Mum fidgeted with the frills on her skirt. "Sesan King. I met him at a seminar in Chicago."

"When?" I enquired.

"A couple of-"

I cleared my throat.

"-um, five months ago," she concluded.

"Is he okay financially?"

"Yes. He's a chef at his own restaurant."

"Have y'all gotten general tests done? You know blood, vitals, S.T-"

Mum winced and raised both hands in a silent plea. "We've done all. Thank you, Teniola."

My grin stretched from ear to ear, and I stroked her back. "Is he living in his own place?"

"Yes," she groaned.

"Nibo ni won ti wa? Where is he from?" I should have asked earlier.

"He's from Oyo," she replied. Her lips were twitching in an attempt to suppress a smile.

I hugged her and she relaxed her tense shoulders. "You've been alone for too long and deserve to be happy, Mum. If he makes you happy, it's fine by me."

"I'm so glad to get it off my chest. I wasn't sure what your response would be," Mum said. She exhaled audibly for the third time, and pat the side of my Afro that got crumpled in our embrace.