18

George watched as the strong gust of wind blew Daniella’s hair, making her look annoyed and untangle her hair with her fingers and tie it up to prevent to from happening again.

“Hey, focus,” his engineer nudged him to get his attention back so that they can continue with the track walk.

George immediately looked away from his teammate and blinked a few times to clear his mind from her imagine before giving his full attention back to his race engineer.

“It’s going to rain,” Daniella said to Nate as she looked at the gloomy clouds above.

“Yeah…we have been told it’s going to rain the entire weekend,” Nate replied. “So the race should be interesting.”

“I miss racing in the rain.”

After a few minutes the track walk came to an end and rain started pouring. Daniella cursed herself for not bringing an umbrella or a raincoat with her. Nate already left to share the gathered data with the rest of the team, leaving Daniella behind. Luckily for her, an umbrella was placed above her.

She looked to her side to find her teammate holding the umbrella.

Daniella looked at George suspiciously, making him roll his eyes.

“I am doing it for the cameras,” he whispered so only Daniella can hear him. “The media already believes that we hate each other and if I leave you here in the rain they will portray me as the bad guy.”

“Ahh!,” Daniella gave a teasing smile. “Look at you trying to play the media, makes you look cute.”

“Shut up!,” he shot her a quick glare. “I am trying my best here okay. Also Toto is still not convinced that we are friends now and will kick me out if I give any of these reporter a reason to prove that we are rivals.”

Daniella chuckled as she grabbed George’s arm, taking him by surprise.

“You worry too much about Toto and the media,” she gave a comforting smile. “Now let’s go back together and make you look good in front of the cameras.”

As both the drivers walked back to the Mercedes hospitality sharing one umbrella the photographers around them clicked several photos which resulted into many new rumours.

***

“Hey mate,” George greeted Lando who approached him as George was about to go back to his hotel after the qualifying session. “Do you need a lift or…”

“What is going on between you and Daniella?” Lando asked straight away, anger and jealousy laced in his voice.

George was taken aback as he was not expecting that question.

“What…what do you mean?” he asked. “Nothing is going on. We are teammates…and friends.”

“Friends?” Lando scoffed. “You hated her so much for the past two years and suddenly you two are friends? Is this her way of making me jealous and…”

“Why would she try to make you jealous? She doesn’t even look at you or even mention your name,” George snapped, getting angry. He was already in a sour mood as he failed to qualify into Q1 due to some issues with the car but now Lando's words are only pouring oil into the fire and making him more angry.

Lando clenched his jaw and glared daggers at George. The recent rumours and photos of Daniella with George have done nothing but make him jealous and making him regret his actions that led to the end of his relationship with her, but also making him feel betrayed as George is one of his friends.

“I love her George, and you are my friend so I suggest you stay away from her,” Lando said in a low but firm voice.

This time George scoffed.

“You may still love her but don’t forget, you cheated on her and broke her heart,” George said coldly. “And get it through your thick head that Dani and I are just friends and even if something ever happens between us in the future it will be none of your business.”

Before Lando could argue or pick up a fight George got into his car and drove away. George has come to care about Daniella again as he did before when they were friends and doesn’t want anyone else to come between his friendship with her, especially a cheating ex.

***

“I hate this,” Daniella groaned as she sat in the empty chair next to George.

It has been raining nonstop since last night and the race has been delayed. All the drivers have been in their respective garages, waiting for the rain to stop so that the race can start.

“I don’t think we will race today,” George lazily tilt his head and looked at his teammate.

Daniella pouted and slouched back. Both drivers sat in silence for a while as they waited for the weather to clear up but once again they were informed that the race has been delayed further.

Both were watching the highlights of the qualifying session on the screen in front of them when George felt a weight on his shoulder.

He looked to find Daniella’s head resting on his shoulder, her eyes were closed and strands of hair falling on her face. She got tired of waiting a fell asleep.

A small smiled appeared on George’s face as he removed the strands of hair from her face and tugged him behind her ear, but still a couple of strands fell loose.

“Aww! Look at you two,” Myra said as she pulled out her phone a took a photo. “So cute…fans are going to love it.” She immediately posted the photo on all the social media platforms with a cheesy caption.

George shifted a little so that Daniella can be more comfortable.

“Did…did you drug her?” Toto suspiciously asked, still not convinced that George and Daniella are once again friends and not fights or at each other’s throat.

“What? No…she fell asleep,” George whispered so that his voice doesn’t wake her up.

Toto lifted up his hand in surrender. “I was just checking…can’t be too careful with you two.”

George noticed a camera outside the garage pointed at them, filming the moment. He awkwardly smiled before shielding Daniella’s face with his hand as he didn’t want her filmed while she is sleeping and being venerable.

Myra noticed and handed him a spare jacket which he used to cover up Daniella enough so that no camera can get a clear shot.

Unknown to him or his sleeping teammate the entire moment was broadcasted live.

***********

A/N: Little bit of cute Dani x George...they are rebuilding their friendship.

Who is going to fall in love first?

I love how Toto is still not convinced that they are friends

Thoughts on Lando and his jealousy?

I feel like putting Dani through some more hardships...