22

“I don’t want to go,” Daniella whined as she finished dressing up, looking beautiful but defeated.

“You have to,” Myra told her sternly as she stood up and went over to Daniella and fixed her hair since the driver was not even doing the bare minimum. “Your friends organized the dinner for you. I am sure you will feel much better once you get there.”

Daniella groaned and rolled her eyes before checking herself in the mirror. She does look good but there was a frown present on her face.

“Charles texted me some of them are bringing their girlfriends so you can easily avoid the dumb guy talks,” Myra tried to get her excited.

“That only means I will be the fifth wheel…or seventh wheel,” Daniella sounded uncertain.

“Then you are lucky George will be there with you.”

After a few minutes George knocked at the door and Myra eagerly opened it and welcomed him in.  

“This is my room, Myra,” Daniella folded her arms against her chest. “You can’t just invite anyone in.”

“It’s just George.”

George smiled and waved at Daniella.

“I don’t want to…”

“You are going,” Myra pushed Daniella towards George, making her almost stumbled but George was quick enough to prevent it.

“Ready?” George asked his team, his eyes fixated on her since he stepped inside.

Daniella awkwardly nodded and gave a small smile.

Myra basically pushed the drivers out of the room so they are not late and Daniella can’t come up with new excuses, and as a result she didn’t get time to even grab her jacket.

“And don’t come back before midnight.”

***

“Finally!” Charles’ face lit up when he saw the Mercedes duo walking towards the table. “I thought you two were not going to show up.”

“We almost didn’t…” George sarcastically replied and shot Daniella a quick look.

Charles and his girlfriend Charlotte got out of their seat and hugged Daniella. She politely smiled and greeted them and everyone else at the table.

“Charles was just about to bet that you were going to call sick and not show up,” Carlos said, implying to the conversation they were having before Daniella showed up.

“No I wasn’t…” Charles let out a nervous laugh.

“Trust me I was about to call, but George took away my phone,” she shot a glare at George who looks unapologetic.

“It was my job go get her here and I did it successfully,” George said proudly.

Before Daniella and George could take their seat they were interrupted by Max and Daniel who were the last ones to show up.

“Sorry we are late, ” he apologized. “Someone took too long to get ready,” he pointed at Daniel who just gave everyone his signature bright smile.

Max gave a quick hug to Daniella and kept his arm rested on her shoulder.

“Come on then, let’s all seat and order our food,” Charles told everyone. “I am starving.”

Daniella took her seat next to Charlotte and picked up the menu to decide what she was going to eat. Max was going to seat next to her but George swiftly cut  him off and took the seat. He tried to act natural but seating next to Daniella suddenly made him a little nervous.

Max looked unbothered and took the seat next to Daniel who was already cracking jokes.

***

“Admit it, you had fun,” George smugly said as he and Daniella slowly walked back to their hotel. After dinner everyone decided to go for a drink and as a result both the drivers are little tipsy now.

“Fine,” Daniella playfully rolled her eyes. “I had fun.”

George smiled in triumph and looked at her, his eyes studying her face and expression. His smile slowly dimed to match the adoring look he is giving her.

Daniella tried to avoid the cool breeze, acting like it’s not effecting her. She subtly rubbed both her arms to keep warm but it was not working.

George was no fool and noticed the goosebumps on her arms. He immediately took off his jacket and wrapped it around her, which took her by surprise.

“Oh George..you really don’t have to…it’s not even that cold,” she tried to protest, but the jacket felt good around her and she liked the warmth it was giving her.

George just chuckled and secured the jacket around her. “Stop lying Dani, you are freezing.”

Daniella gave in and hold the jacket tightly. She looked down to see it was almost as long as her dress. A chuckle left her lips, she hates how tall George is but now because of that his jacket is covering most of her and keeping her warm.

She looked up to see George staring at her, with the expression she has never seen on George.

“What are you looking at Mr. Russell?” Daniella narrowed her eyes and looked at him suspiciously.

“You,” George replied. His heart started beating faster as soon as their eyes met.

Daniella blinked a few times and felt her breath getting heavy, a nervous reaction. She can feel the building tension and the pull towards him, maybe it was because of those drink or maybe it’s really there but both of them could feel it.

Daniella managed to build up a little courage a stepped closer, now only a couple of inch away from George.

George saw the sign and slowly leaned down towards her as Daniella cautiously stepped on her tip toe to reach him. As they got closer both closed their eyes, anticipation in both their hearts as their lip gently brushed.

Just as they were about to kiss, a car passed by, loudly blowing the horn, pulling them out of their trance and they immediately opened their eyes. Both looked nervous and the atmosphere turned awkward as they took a step back from each other.

Daniella looked away immediately, not wanting to show her blushing embarrassed face to George who also did the same. She looked at her watch to check the time.

“Its…it’s getting late…” She stuttered. “We should…”

“We should head back to our hotel.”

***********

A/N: The last part was a little cheesy and I hate cheesy but whatever

They almost kissed but...

Thoughts on this chapter?

Okay but, who is better? George or Lando from Race?