25

"Can she go one season without crashing?" George gasped in horror as seconds ago he witnessed Daniella being involved in a crash with one of the Red Bulls again. 

With Daniella and Max out of the race George had an easy win. He was in a hurry to meet her but he was informed that she was doing okay. He relaxed a bit and went for the podium celebration. 

"She was sent to the hospital for a full check up," Toto informed George when he went to see Daniella and she was not there. 

"You should have told me earlier," George sounded angry. 

"It was for the best and we needed you to win the race," Toto replied. 

George didn't stay and argue but instead he went and quickly changed out of his racing suit. He was about to head out to the hospital but just then Daniella came back with Max by her side. 

"Are you going somewhere?" Daniella asked George, looking confused. "We still have the post race interviews."

"I was..never mind," George shook his head. "Are you okay?"

Max looked at the race winner suspiciously as he tried to figure out what is going on. 

"Yeah I am fine," Daniella smiled. "Congrats on the win by the way," She gave him a proud smile. 

"She was watching the race even when they were doing all sorts of tests on us," Max said, making Daniella roll her eyes. "The nurse scolded her but you know Dani, she argued back and kept watching."

George chuckled as Daniella's face turned a little red. 

"I have to go and talk to Toto and then go for the interviews," Daniella said to George and Max. "I will see you later," She smiled at George and gave a side hug to Max before walking away. 

"You are not going to ask if I am okay or not?" Max asked George with a teasing tone. 

"Nah!" George shook his head. "You are the one who crashed into her."

***

"Why is George looking at you like that?" Nate whispered into Daniella's ears as the debriefing was going on. 

"Like what?" Daniella looked at George who quickly looked away and pretended to focus on what was happening. 

"Like Lando used to look at you," The race engineer replied without giving much thought. 

Daniella's face immediately dropped and for a second she looked hurt but quickly covered it up. 

"I am sorry Dani…I wasn't thinking…"

"It's fine, don't worry about it," She gave a tight smile and looked away. 

Nate felt guilty and George was worried and confused in Daniella's sudden demeanor change. 

***

"Where is Dani?" George asked Myra as he looked around. Everyone is seated and the flight was about to take off but Daniella was not there. 

"Oh, she is flying home with Max and Daniel," Myra informed her. 

George looked disappointed and felt a little jealous. 

"Don't worry about her," Myra gave him an assuring smile. "She usually flies with Max when she is in a dilemma and needs someone to listen to her," She chuckled. "He is the only one who has the patience to listen to her complaint."

George smiled and nodded before fastening his seat belt and the plane took off. 

He has never felt more envious before. He wants to listen to Daniella's every complaint, laugh at her eye rolls, comfort her, make her smile, have her sit next to him. But instead of him it's Max who is doing all that. 

***

"Why? Why? Why?" Max sounded annoyed. "I mean, you already know it is a bad idea to fall for another driver, I warned you about it when you were dating Lando and you suffered a lot when you two broke up, and now you are telling me you might be falling for your team mate?"

Daniella had a guilty look on her face as she avoided looking Max in the eye.

"You do realize that it's a disaster waiting to happen right?" He gave her a stern look. "You two can't be together."

Daniella nodded as she looked at him. 

"You remember how he treated you when you moved to Mercedes and he didn't get the seat?" Max pointed out. "It's a good thing you two are friends now…but think about what will happen if you two get in a relationship and things don't work out. There will be no escape for you, you will suffocate there."

"That's what I fear the most," Daniella replied, her voice barely audible but sounded helpless. "I need to create a distance between me and George, otherwise we will both be doomed."

"Dani…" Max gave a sympathetic look as he leaned forward and took her hand in his, giving it a comforting squeeze. He remembers how hurt and devastated Daniella was when Lando cheated and they broke up. He doesn't want her to go through it again. 

The bathroom door opened and Daniel walked out. When he left about ten minutes ago the atmosphere in the plane was cheerful thanks to him but now it is tense and gloomy. 

"What is going on here?" Daniel took the seat next to Max and looked at his friends. 

"Nothing," Max replied as he let go of Daniella's hand. 

Daniella gave an awkward smile and looked out the window at the night sky. 

"Okay.." Daniel sounded unsure, clearly knowing they were discussing something private. 

**********

A/N: George is jealous of Max...

Thoughts on Max's advice?

What do you think about Dani decision about keeping distance from George?

Thoughts on Dani and Max?

What do you think George should do?