26

Daniella's heart skipped a beat when she heard George calling her name from behind. She was planning to go for a night walk which usually calms her down and helps her think, but running into George and talking to him was not the plan. For the past few days, she has done an excellent job at avoiding him, even though they leave in the same building Daniella has somehow managed to not run into him, until now.

She stopped and reluctantly turned around, George came jogging towards her, and he looked concerned but was also glad to see her.

"Hey George," she politely greeted him as her heart started to beat faster.

"Did I do something wrong which I am not aware of?" he asked straight away, sounding concerned yet angry, and his face clearly expressed his emotions.

"No," Daniella mumbled. "Why..."

"Then why have you been avoiding me?" He sounded a bit hurt. "And don't even try to lie," he sternly said.

"George..I was.." Daniella stuttered, trying to find the right words.

"Is it because of the kiss?" George stepped closer, voice softened a bit.

Daniella took a step back, feeling a sting in her heart.

"Dani..."

"We shouldn't have kissed George," she replied, almost finding it hard to breathe. "We are teammates and we just became friends again and..." she rambled but once again unable to come up with the correct words.

"I thought you were okay with it," George felt the same sting in his heart as Daniella.

"Because I was not thinking straight," Daniella composed herself a little. "It was wrong and should have never happened."

George looked hurt but he was more worried about Daniella's feelings since she seem like she is struggling emotionally and he doesn't want to see her like that.

"Okay..then we will forget about it," he suggested. "We will never talk about it again, we will pretend we never kissed." He held her hand, trying to make her believe his words.

"No," she removed her hand from his warm touch. "You don't understand...I have feelings for someone else," she lied. "I am in love with someone else and kissing you was..."

Tears started pricking Daniella's eyes and threatening to roll down her eyes but somehow she managed to control it.

If George was not sure about his feeling for Daniella, he is now. He felt his heartbreak as her words hit him like daggers.

"It was a mistake," he took a step back and gave a small smile. "You don't have to worry about anything, I won't bring it up again or do anything to complicate your life with..whoever the lucky guy is, I promise," he assured her.

Daniella let out a shaky breath as George took a few steps backward away from her. "I will see you tomorrow night," he said, implying at the event they were both invited. He gave her another assuring smile before turning and walking away.

As soon as George was out of site Daniella felt a couple of drops of tears rolling down her face.

***

"So you lied to him and said you are in love with someone else?" Max asked, trying to clarify his doubts after Daniella explained everything to him as they were on their way to the event.

Daniella nodded and looked at Max who was driving the car.

"He believed you?" Max looked at her, feeling bad and concerned.