Chapter 11 Going Out with a BANG

I manage to run across the street without tripping.

Just as we reach Kota's house, the door flings open and Sean ushers us in.

“They didn't see you,” Kota whispers from the living room window. He's peeking from behind the curtain at the people down the street.

“Those assholes are in my house now,” Nathan growls as he tosses a pack onto the couch.

“We knew it was likely to happen once we left,” Owen reminds him and releases my hand as Gabe does.

“I know, it's just different witnessing it happen.” He joins Kota at the window.

The clouds have moved to allow some moonlight to illuminate the street now and I peek out the other window too. I see several silhouettes make their way to my neighbor's house. The manner in which some are walking, you know they've been drinking. Probably drinking their sorrows away. I can't imagine anyone finding joy in our situation.

Separated from families and loved ones. No knowledge of what's going on anywhere else. I'm almost grateful I don't have anyone to be concerned about. My family's like cockroaches. Wherever they are, they'll find a way to survive. If I'm completely honest with myself, I don't care if they do or not. The realization makes me sick. What kind of person am I not to care?

I do care about the guys though. My nightmare proved that. I want them to survive this. Not just because I'm dependent on them, but because they seem to be truly good people and I haven't found that before now. Not personally.

I guess I do have nine people I'm concerned about.....

Shouting interrupts my thoughts and my eyes sweep the street until they land on a couple guys shoving each other. One lands on the ground and they both start cackling. I guess they weren't really fighting. Two other people, a guy and girl, embrace and start kissing. I'm embarrassed to be spying on them, but they've made their way onto my front lawn. He reaches down and hikes up her short skirt. She pulls his pants down and I stare in shock. I can't see that well but I know what they're about to do. On my lawn?

They ungracefully fall back on the grass with him on top of her. For a moment, I'm concerned what's happening is similar to what happened to me, but then I see that she wraps her legs around him....

I quickly shut the curtain and spin around. I can feel nine pairs of eyes on me and my body heats. Kota and Nathan are still facing toward the window, but their eyes are watching me. I can't see other's faces.

“What's going on out there?” North walks to where I am and looks out the window. “What the hell?”

There's a rush to the windows as the guys all look, I feel my way over to the couch.

“Sweet Jesus, that's a first,” Luke chuckles.

“Well shit. Better your lawn than your bed Sang.” Gabe whispers.

I'm not the one on public display, but I want to die nevertheless.

“I guess if you think the world's coming to an end, you want to enjoy every last moment,” I can hear the grin mixed with Silas' accent.

“Yeah, they want to go out with a bang.”

I hear grumbles at Luke's joke and what sounds like him being smacked. He quietly laughs it off.

“It doesn't look like anyone's coming here,” Owen says. “North and Kota, you keep watch for the first two hours, then wake Victor and myself.”

They settle around the room, leaving North and Kota to the view.

The couch cushion shifts as someone sits next to me. “Try to get some rest, we have a long day ahead of us,” Sean says.

I lay my head on the back of the couch and tuck my feet under me.

I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight.