Chapter 13 What a Girl Needs

I try to keep my steps in sync with Victor's since he's in front of me.

Although his legs aren't as long as some of the others, they're still much longer than mine.

My legs. They burn. I'm such a weakling. We've only been walking for maybe three hours with a couple breaks in between, and they want to fall off. My pack, that's so much lighter than everyone's, is getting heavier with every step, like it's a bag of bricks. Why didn't I do running or some sport that would have given me better endurance for something like this?

Because my stepmother wouldn't let me. I wasn't allowed in any after school programs or out of the house. By the time they left, I was becoming a self-induced hermit anyway.

Way to go Sang. Look where your shy and stupidly scared attitude got you. Unable to protect or fend for yourself and the majorly weak link in the chain they'll be sure to cut out. Just like my family.

I'm tired and hot which adds to the private pity party in my head. I got to snap out of it. As bad as my life was, it could have been worse. For others it is. Think positive.

I've got nine guys willing to help me for now and a full belly. I focus again on Victor, my eyes straying to his lean hips and nice butt. God, I'm turning into a creeper too.

He halts and I almost run into him, not paying attention since my eyes were focused....elsewhere. I skid to a stop and he turns, giving me a knock out smile. “You alright?”

I swallow, “I'm great!”

North stomps past me from behind to join Owen and Nathan stopped at the front. “She's exhausted and ready to fall over,” he mumbles as he walks past.

I glare at his broad back. Why would he say that? Now they'll all be upset with me!

I turn to Victor who looks concerned. “I'm fine, really. I don't know why he said that.”

Victor watches my face seeing probably the sweat beading, dark circles under my tired eyes, and a beet red face. He lowers his pack and gets a bottle of water, “Here,” he holds it out to me.