Chapter 14 Screaming Like a Girl

Sang

The dust upstairs tickles my nose causing me to sneeze.

Victor and Kota grin at me. “How are you doing?” Kota asks.

“Good,” I tell them......”How are you?”

They smile more. “We're fine, but we've had a lot of physical training,” Victor says. “If you feel run down or like you need to take a break at any time, just let us know.”

“I'll be fine,” I assure. “I'm just really grateful you let me come with you. I don't know what I'd do.....” I let the sentence hang, not even knowing how to finish it.

They nod in understanding.

“Make sure you hydrate,” Kota looks out the window. “We haven't found any useful supplies here, but it's a good place to rest for a bit.” His eyes narrow at the sky. “I think a storm is coming in.”

We join him at the window and see the dark clouds on the horizon.

“How long?” Victor asks.

“Maybe a couple hours,” Kota turns from the window. “We need to decide if we're going to hole up here or keep going and find shelter before it hits.”

We follow him downstairs and onto the porch.

“A storm's coming,” Owen announces when we come out.

Kota nods, “I noticed. What's the plan?”

Owen stares at the clouds, his hands on his lean hips, thinking. “The plan was to stay at some cabins at a campground tonight, but we won't make it there before the storm, and we have no way of knowing how long it will last.” He sighs, “We'll stay and wait it out. Hopefully it will pass quickly and we can get going after without losing too much time.”