Chapter 16 Grandpa Charlie

Kota helps me unlatch from Victor's body, “Are you alright?”

I straighten my clothes and give him a meek smile as he secures the daisy behind her ear. I'd forgotten it was there. I'm more embarrassed than anything.”

Gabe throws an arm around my shoulders, “At least you didn't scream like I did.”

I shake my head. “You had reason to. I thought you had fallen to the ground.” Just thinking of what happened makes my stomach flop.

We all watch as Silas, then North, and finally Luke quickly shimmy down the rope with obvious ease. I'm more embarrassed than ever for my damsel in distress behavior.

Owen crosses his arms, directing his attention to my barn loft comrades, “You should have found out if she was afraid of heights before taking her up there.”

I don't want them to get in trouble because of me, “I didn't say anything, I should have...but I thought I'd be fine...until I got to the top.”

God, I sound so stupid...

He eyes me, “Are there any other fears that we should know about?”

I shake my head, “Not that I know of.”

“Well, come on Gabe,” Sean pats him on the back, “I want to look you over and make sure you're okay.”

Gabe grumbles that he is but follows Sean back to the house, Victor tagging along.

I scuff the dirt floor, drawing figure eights with the toe of my shoe. I'm already causing problems for this group.

“I'm sorry.” I lift my head and look Owen in the eyes, repeating myself, “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause problems.”

His eyes soften slightly, but the rest of his expression remains firm. “I don't think you intended to cause any kind of problem......and you didn't.” His eyes return to steel, “However, it's important to evaluate your abilities prior to agreeing to do something. Your safety and the safety of others may depend on it. I imagine you had an inkling of your fear of heights?”