Chapter Fifteen: Connections

You had finally teleported yourself back to Heights Alliance. Everyone is in the common area talking about what could have possibly led to the incident.

You drearily walk past them, ignoring all their questions. Finding your way to the elevator; you silently ride up to the fourth floor. Nothing but your thoughts keeping you company.

You ask yourself how you could have let this happen.

Everyone knows the signs of suicide, and it's way easier to identify the signs of delusions at that.

You sigh and take off your heels. The cold floor feels relaxing on your feet.

The elevator dings, signaling that you're on your designated floor.

You walk to your room and enter without a word.

Katsuki's sitting on his bed with an unreadable look on his face, but his eyes are full of sympathy.

You inhale and look away; without hesitation, you start removing your clothes. He opens his mouth to speak.

"Don't worry." You mutter. "We aren't about to have sex." You slide on a pair of sweats and a tee shirt.

There's a faint taste of vomit in your mouth, so you teleport into the girl's bathroom to brush your teeth.

There's a container with unopened toothbrushes, you help yourself to one and start to scrub at your teeth.

When finished, you gargle two capfuls of mouthwash. The taste isn't completely gone, but at least it's minimized.

Looking up at the mirror you take in your appearance. Your face looks like its color has been drained, your eyes are bloodshot, and your hair is messy and unbrushed. You place your fingertips on the apple of your cheeks. You look horrible.

You teleport back up to your room and climb into his bed. You lie down and curl your legs up to your chest. Katsuki gets up to turn his light off.

You silently thank him; you didn't want him to see you cry any more than he already had.

You can't help but feel a little guilty about what went down. You should've taken that damn book away from him.

What was that book about anyway? Suicide as the finishing task?

It's almost as if everyone you come across dies. Izumi, the man, your parents.

You try to muffle your cries. Holding one hand over your mouth while the other clutches your stomach. You were doing well until an uncontrollable hiccup escapes your lips.

"Y/n, you're crying."

You didn't even know he was still in the room.

"You know none of this is your fault, right?" He says.

You sit up with your back against your headboard.

Pulling your knees into your chest, you stare into the abyss. "I saw someone die, Katsuki. I watched someone die. And I did nothing." You wipe your remaining tears with the palm of your hand. "I have the best fucking quirk, and I didn't even think about using it."

He comes up to you and silently asks for your permission to sit on your bed. You nod lightly and scoot over. "You're being too hard on yourself."

"What?"

"Whatever that guy was on, he was crazy and shouldn't have been there tonight. He should've been in a mental institute instead. None of this was your fault, so stop bitching about it."

You bite the inside of your cheek, allowing his words a chance to soak in.

"I seen someone die the other day too," you mutter to yourself.

"Huh?"

"The day you helped me with the work? When I was on my way to the ramen place I saw a corpse getting carried off in a stretch. And one of the officers was holding a—" Your eyes widen. "A book."

You look in his direction. With the help of the light of a full moon, you're able to make out his crimson eyes.

"Whatcha getting at, dumbass?"

"Katsuki, what if they were connected somehow?"

"Alright, two brainwashed dumbasses were in the same cult. So what?

"So you know what this means? We need to figure this out."

He sucks his teeth. "You're not a fucking detective."

"So you're saying I should just let people die?"

"I'm saying leave it to the Pros. If it was something serious, they'd have done something by now. Don't go putting yourself in harm's way."

He gets out of your bed and walks towards the door. "My room across the hall, so send Pyro back when he's ready."

You look down at the sleeping black cat that you had no clue was even in your room. "What if I wanna go over there?"

"You aren't allowed in unless the damn world ends." He walks out and closes your door.

You close your eyes in an attempt to sleep, but you can't get it off your mind.

Katsuki may have told you to let it go, but death is the only thing in life that makes you sick to your stomach.

You can't bring yourself to sit and watch others die because of a book.

But what if your meddling just causes more of a problem?

You decide it's best to take Katsuki's advice and let the pros do it.

Besides, you aren't a hero. You may not like seeing people die, but you're still here for one job only.

Finding the predecessor.

You get out of bed and search for your laptop.

You need to take your mind off things somehow, and why not do so by doing some research?

You go on YouTube and search for last year's Sports Festival. Back when your classmates were first years.

The full live stream is way longer than a few hours, so you get comfortable and prepare yourself for a long night of quirks and challenges.