The Thought to be Second Choice

" So, there's nothing I can do to change your mind?" You looked at Cedric with glassy eyes, trying your very best to hold back the tears. He shook his head, answering you wordlessly, and you averted your gaze from his grey orbs in favor of the floor. You stood, and began to walk down the hall without casting so much as another glance his way, leaving him to watch as you disappeared around the corner. And that was the last time you spoke to your best friend.

That was a couple months ago. You've seen him, and heard about him, of course since he's one of the two Hogwarts champions in the tournament, but you haven't had any direct contact with him since your fight. Cedric Diggory is currently in second place after the first task, and despite still not being on speaking terms with him, his safety always remains a constant concern in your mind— especially after his injury from the dragon. With the first task already completed, everyone is chatting on about the next big Triwizard event— the Yule Ball which has completely taken over Hogwarts for the last week. The whole school is buzzing about who's taking whom, what they're going to wear, and practicing (or not) their dancing. Wanting to get away from it all, you escape to your favorite spot on campus: a big old tree not too far from the castle where you could always go whenever you need space.

"Y/N," Your ears perk up at the sound of a familiar voice you've missed dearly for some time now. "I thought I would find you here." You shift over on the blanket you have laid out to give Cedric a place to sit next to you. The boy still is your best friend, and that means he knows you better than anyone.

"Hi," you greet him, your voice small as you offer him a forced smile.

"How have you been?" There's a certain discomfort that comes with making small talk with the person you're supposed to be closest to.

"Uh, fine, I suppose," You set your book down as to not be rude, but start to fiddle with your fingers as a substitute distraction. "How about you?"

"I suppose I'm also fine," he chuckles awkwardly, leaning back against the tree and looking up at the cloudy sky. The wind picks up, causing you to shiver, and he reacts instantly, wrapping an arm around you and pulling you to his side. It's a simple action that was first nature to the both of you, but has grown foreign given the distance you've taken from each other. "Here, take my scarf," Before you can protest, he's already got the warm wool wrapped around your neck. You thank him quietly, accepting the friendly gesture. It all feels distantly familiar, but strangely nostalgic and you're not quite sure what to make of the sudden visit. Why now, after all these months? You had been avoiding him of course, and he had more than enough to be busy with, but what's so special about today?

"Has anyone asked you to the Yule Ball?" he inquires, catching your eyes, his head adorably tilted to the side as he does so. You open your mouth to answer, but close it when you see a small group of Ravenclaw girls wave to Cedric as they pass by— among them is Cho Chang, whom you know your best friend has a soft spot for. They giggle, and continue on their way after he smiles and waves back to them. Turning his attention back to you, he looks at you expectantly, waiting for a response.

I-I already told Professor Flitwick that I would perform with the orchestra," you inform him, eyes darting around, trying to look anywhere but into those enchanting silver pools. You're lying of course, because you're trying your hardest to keep down whatever it is you're feeling at the moment.

Oh—"

Speaking of which," you cut him off before he can say whatever it is, and stand abruptly as he blinks a few times in surprise. Bending down to hastily gather your things, you try to wrap things up as quickly as you can, "I have to go, um, practice—" Offering him one last awkward smile, the pang of insecurity you've just experienced gets the better of you as you say, "but I don't think anyone's asked Cho yet, y-you should definitely go for it."With that, you leave him sitting there to process what the hell just happened as you walk away without looking back. Great. Now you have to go beg Professor Flitwick for a spot on the orchestra.