Love Lost Part 3

The return to Hogwarts for the next year, you don't expect anything to come out of it.

While you enjoyed that day with Cedric, despite the way it had ended, you didn't really expect anything to change. You expected life to go back to normal. But from the minute classes started, you found out that in fact was not the case. Cedric seemed to be everywhere you looked. Everywhere.

And it only took him a matter of days before he approached you.

"I'm surprised you even noticed me."

He says it with a teasing voice and a bright, grinning smile as he glances down at you. It causes you to roll your eyes lightly, shaking your head as you snort, closing the book in your lap to place your attention fully on him. Cedric takes this as an invitation to sit next to you on the bench, and with a soft blush adorning your cheeks, you let your eyes wander aimlessly across the courtyard.

"It's hard not to," you tease lightly, smirking over at him. "You're everywhere ."

"I told you," Cedric shrugs, "you were always too busy doing things to notice me. We've always had classes together." With that, he reaches forward, snatching the book from your lap to which you react with a soft gasp, shaking your head as he inspects it closely. Brows furrowing, he turns back to you; "a Quidditch play book?"

"They're a lot more interesting then you'd think," you huff, snatching the book back and quickly shoving it into your book bag. "Thank you very much."

Cedric laughs, "i'm only teasing you, you know."

Meeting his eyes, you smile lightly. "I'm aware ," you nod, voice soft.

Silence echoes for a moment. Cedric's shoulder softly touches your own, and you can't help the way your heart beats erratically against your chest. It's a comfortable silence, not at all awkward, but you can't help the way you instinctively react to him being so close.

It's honestly, unfair.

"I'm going to put my name in ."

And then the silence is interrupted and your heart starts pounding for an entirely different reason.

Turning to look at Cedric, your eyes widen. "What?" You ask softly, voice a whisper.

He meets your gaze with a gentle frown. He knew you'd be concerned, it's why he had to tell you. "I know it's dangerous, but..." and then he trails and even though you don't know him all that well, even though you've only really started talking again and being friends, you understand what he means. "But i'm going to."

True to his word, the very next week, you watch as Cedric drops his name into the Goblet of Fire. He's surrounded by his friends, as they all celebrate with him, their laughter echoing amongst the room. Standing there thinking of what was to happen. 

But you're sure, even if you could, you don't know how much you'd be celebrating.

And when his name is pulled, and the chaos of Harry also being chosen has dissipated, you make it your goal to avoid Cedric best you can. Part of you knows you're being selfish and silly. That you were acting irrationally, but you really did care about Cedric  ( a lot more then you cared to admit) and you were scared to get closer to him, once more,  knowing what kind of game he was throwing himself into. People died in these tournaments, and stupidly, you thought maybe if you distanced yourself from him, the worry would lessen.

That wasn't the case at all. In fact, you only worried more but just from the sideline. From a distance. Cedric had tried to approach you a few times leading up to the games, but you'd promptly rushed off the other direction any time he had. You ignored him in class and stuck by your few friends, busying yourself with him.

Then, the first challenge came about. Watching Cedric all but battle a dragon and nearly die more then once made you realize, avoiding him was pointless. You wouldn't stop worrying no matter what, and you certainly didn't want to witness his hurt expression any time you walked away from him one more time. It was already breaking your heart.

You found him easily enough after his challenge. Fleur ( A/N PS did I write that right)  was up next and then Harry, but you found yourself unable to stick around and watch.

You had to find Cedric.

He was just finishing being patched up and healed from the fight when you came into the tent, the nurse leaving just as you entered. His eyes had snapped up in surprise at the sound of a visitor, but widened even further when he saw the visitor was in fact you.

A bundle of nerves flooded your entire being. You hesitantly stepped into the tent, wringing your hands nervously before yourself, as you slowly made your way over to him. You wordlessly took a seat next to him, and for a moment, silence hung in the air.

Then, you spoke. "I'm glad you're alright."

Cedric nodded. "I wasn't sure you cared all that much anymore."

His words stung, but you couldn't blame him for saying them either. "I'm sorry," you whisper after a moment, finally glancing over to meet his eyes. "I'm sorry for ignoring you. I just... I just couldn't bear the thought of these challenges taking you away from me, and I didn't want to ruin your excitement about them either. So I just sort of...--"

"Pretended I didn't exist?"

"Yeah," you cringe, "i'm sorry..."

"It's fine," Cedric assures and you ease, shoulders falling when you notice a smile curling onto his lips. Your lips part however when he slips his hand into your own, the act intimate and gentle as he squeezes. He doesn't tear his gaze away from you. "I don't plan on going anywhere, Y/N. I promise."

Smiling softly, you squeeze his hand in return; "yeah?"

He nods, without hesitation. "Yeah."

A/N another part done ! One of the longest I have done, yet! Should I do more? 

Part 4?

                                                                                                                                                                xoxo, Kate