Chapter 1

"Alright, first violins, I want to hear you from measure sixty-five

"Alright, first violins, I want to hear you from measure sixty-five."

Makaira puts her own violin back in her case, picking up her baton. After giving her students the cue to start, she taps it against her stand to remind them of the time signature.

And their rhythm is mostly correct, but the notes are way off.

The sound of their playing eventually fades out as they give up. Some of them giggle, while others wince out of embarrassment.

"No, it's okay. I know it's hard." She chuckles a bit. "Let me show you how it goes."

The teacher picks up her violin and starts from measure sixty-five. Having looked at the music before class started and practiced it a little bit herself, she plays it perfectly.

"Let's go a little slower now. You can play sixty-five in first position but in sixty-six, your arm is moving back and forth too much, right? It makes you look like a chicken trying to fly."

Her joke makes laughter erupt from the orchestra.

"Yeah, you don't want to look like that, do you? So personally, I would shift up to third position.."

Makaira explains how to play the part in detail, making several students nod and scribble down notes on their music sheets.

When she has them play it again, she instantly notices an improvement.

"Much better. Okay, let's start from the very beginning. Tutti." She signals for everyone to pick up their instruments, lightly tapping her baton against her stand.

All eyes in the room rest on her as the students wait for her to start. "I'll give you one measure of rest before you come in." She reminds them. "And remember, no chicken arms."

Makaira sends a playful glare in the directon of the first violins, making them laugh.

"Okay, one, two.."

She waits for them to start and get into the groove of things. Then she picks up her own violin with a smile, starting to play along with several of the parts.

This, right here, is the exact reason why Makaira decided to be a music teacher instead of a professional violinist or cellist. She plays both instruments well enough, but she absolutely loves the environment here.

She gets to teach music to inquiring minds for a living, allow these high school students to take their minds off their stressful academic classes for a few hours. And that's where her passion lies.

Once they have gotten up to a part they haven't played through yet, she stops. The bell is about to ring anyway. "Alright, that's it for today, guys! Good work. Start packing up and I'll see you tomorrow."

The rumbling sound of violin and viola cases can be heard throughout the room as Makaira packs up her own instrument, carrying it to her office area. She puts it away and then sits down on her chair, pulling out her cell phone.