Chapter 13

Once the news has been spread to everyone, they quickly gather in the house to celebrate

Once the news has been spread to everyone, they quickly gather in the house to celebrate. The staff members managed to get their hands on a cake and a couple champagne, so they enjoy themselves to the fullest.

That night, after a nice shower, Makaira is tired and ready to go to bed. Not only is she drained of energy, but she can feel the beginnings of a fever come over her body. However, the one person who can solve that problem is nowhere to be found.

"Where is he?" She mumbles quietly, tiptoeing around upstairs in an effort to not wake up any of the others that are sleeping. Once Makaira has concluded that he's not up here, she heads downstairs.

And sure enough, Yoongi is in the living room with a guitar and a glass of whiskey. He's strumming quietly to himself but he pauses, looking up when he notices her presence.

"Can I join you?"

A ghost of a smile tugs at his lips. "Sure."

That's all the incentive she needs to head to the kitchen and pour her own glass. The brand of whiskey on the counter is one of her favorites, it's smooth and has a rich flavor.

He's a man of taste.

"I didn't pin you as the whiskey type." Yoongi raises an eyebrow, watching her take a sip.

"What, did you think women only drink cocktails?" She scoffs teasingly as she sets her glass down on the table. Then Makaira takes a seat next her soulmate, leaving a comfortable distance between them.

"I didn't say that." He rolls his eyes. "But now that I think about it, it fits your personality."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Makaira watches the way Yoongi's fingers fiddle with the guitar strings even though he's not playing.

"Whiskey's intense, blunt. And sometimes it burns." He explains in a soft voice. "I can be like that too, that's why we had a hard time getting along at first."

"Ah, I see." She nods. "But we were able to overcome that, weren't we?"

"Yeah. And I'm glad we did." He grins, turning his attention back to the guitar. After a few hesitant strums, he starts playing a beautiful melody that has Makaira hanging onto every note.

"Are you sure you're a beginner?" She jokes once he has finished, making him laugh. Makaira can't help but smile at the way his shoulders shake and his nose wrinkles up. Lately she has started to notice some of his habits, including cute ones like this.

"I started a couple weeks ago. Well seriously, anyway. I've always liked the guitar but never really had the opportunity to learn to play." Then he clears his throat. "What instruments do you play?"

Makaira yawns a little, which serves as a personal reminder of the reason she came down here in the first place. "Cello, violin.." She hesitates, chuckling bitterly. "..I doubt the piano still counts."

"Trust me, it counts, Makaira." Yoongi places a reassuring hand on top of hers. "It counts."

His gaze is far from sympathetic. Makaira knows the look of sympathy far too well and she hates it with every fiber of her being. No, this look is similar to the one he gave her when they were sitting on the piano bench together.

It's warm and comforting, somehow managing to penetrate all the walls she has put up around herself. It's like he can see right into her soul.

It's impossible to look away.

"I, um, I was thinking.." He begins, still looking into her eyes. "I thought maybe I could.."

"You could what?"

He suddenly offers her a sheepish grin before breaking eye contact. "It's nothing, nevermind." Then he pulls his hand away from hers. "We should probably get to bed."

"Oh, okay." She is surprised by his reluctance and it makes her even more curious about what he could have wanted to say. But she doesn't push it. Knowing what she does about Yoongi, she has a feeling it won't do any good.

So instead, she follows him to bed and hopes that eventually, he will let her know what is on his mind.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Before Makaira knows it, it's time to pack up and go home. Although she was initially wary about this vacation, she did have a lot of fun. Not only with Yoongi, but also the whole group.

"So how much time do I have before I need to start ducking into alleys to hide from the paparazzi?" She asks, only somewhat joking as she puts her toiletries away in her suitcase.

Yoongi's chuckles to himself. "I'd give it at least a month, they need some time to edit the footage."

"Hm, good to know."

When the news gets out about Yoongi being her soulmate, Makaira just hopes her life can retain some degree of normality. She doesn't want to be followed around constantly like a celebrity. And most of all, it's important that Hiroshi is kept far away from this.

There are some crazy people out there and she doesn't want him to become a target.

It's a lot to think about, but she will have to face this situation head on at some point or another.

"Is it bad that I don't want to go home?" She drifts over to the window, looking out at the vibrant grass and tall trees.

"No." Yoongi reassures her, approaching until they are side by side. "You probably haven't gotten to relax this much in..let's see. Hiroshi is five, right?"

Makaira smiles, shaking her head. "Five years sounds about right. I love him but kids are kids, you know?"

"Yeah, I get that." He nods. A comfortable silence lingers in the air for a few moments. Then he speaks again. "Would you ever have more?"

"Kids?" She raises an eyebrow as she turns to face him. When Yoongi nods his head, Makaira hums to herself. "Are you asking me if I would have kids with you?"

His eyes instantly go as wide as saucers. "That- that's not what I said."

"But I think that's what you're implying, no?"

"Makaira, it was a general question." He scrambles to clarify. But his cheeks and ears go red all the same. "I didn't mean anything by it."

"Well since we're soulmates, it's a pretty reasonable assumption to make." She crosses her arms in front of her chest, trying her best to maintain her serious facade. But soon enough, the absolute mortified look on his face makes her burst out into laughter.

"You were joking." His body practically sags with relief.

"I'm sorry but it looked like your soul was about to leave your body, you were so embarrassed." She finally catches her breath after a few moments, peering at him with bright eyes. "I'm sure your fans will really enjoy watching this."

"I'm sure they'll enjoy this too." He flashes her a sarcastic smile, holding up the middle finger before walking away to finish his packing.

He's adorable.

That thought makes the smile on her face dissipate. She can't have feelings for Yoongi already, it's too soon. It's just not possible.

..or is it?