Chapter 10

"Hiro, what else is left on the list?" Makaira hums, glancing down at the little boy as they pull their cart to the side of an aisle

Grocery shopping is one of the more boring chores in her opinion, but bringing Hiroshi along always makes it more entertaining. He holds up the shopping list, squinting at it.

"Um, pancake mix, eggs, cereal.."

"Cereal is right here." Makaira says, pointing to the shelf in front of them. "You want to grab it for me?"

"Yeah!" It's too high for him to reach on his own so she lifts Hiro up, making him giggle. He grabs the box he wants, putting it in the cart.

"Okay, good. I think the pancake mix should be a little further down-"

Makaira freezes when she hears her phone buzzing in her purse. She pulls it out, pursing her lips when she sees the name on the screen.

Devil's Spawn.

The music teacher honestly isn't sure how to feel about her soulmate. She's still a little bitter about the first encounter they had but at the same time, she saw a different side of him yesterday. One that was compassionate and understanding.

Which one is the real Min Yoongi?

That's a question she has been wrestling with since last night and she still hasn't found an answer.

"Hello?" She answers in a neutral tone.

"Hey, what are you up to?"

"Just doing some grocery shopping with Hiro, why?"

"No reason, just asking." He clears his throat. That's when it becomes apparent to Makaira that he sounds nervous about something. "How are you feeling?"

She furrows her brows. There are so many things he could be talking about and she's not sure which it is. Does he mean pertaining to the bond? Is he talking about her crying session yesterday? Or is he referring to the whole Hiroshi situation?

Yoongi takes her silence as an opportunity to clarify. "I mean, we haven't seen each other all day so I just want to make sure you're not burnt out."

"Oh! Um yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired is all." Out of all the options, she's glad Yoongi went with the first one. Any of the other two would have been pretty awkward to discuss with him, especially over the phone. "How about you? Are you..okay?"

"I'm fine, I just um.." He pauses for a moment. "Listen, I'm at work right now but I can come over in about an hour and a half. I'll bring food."

Makaira blinks slowly. Not only is her soulmate making an effort to come to her, he's also offering free food. "Are you sure you're not sick?"

"Uh..no? I'm fine." He deadpans, sounding confused now.

"Well then why..nevermind." She decides it's better just to let it happen and not ask questions. "We should be home in an hour, so that sounds good. Don't forget the food, okay?"