Chapter 2

"Aunt Mika!" Hiroshi cheers when Makaira comes through the door, instantly running into her arms

Although the five year old knows how to properly pronounce her name now, he still calls her by that nickname he gave her when he was little. Similarly, Makaira also has her own special nickname for Hiroshi. It's their thing.

"Hey, Hiro." She instantly hoists him up onto her hip. "How was school today?"

"Good, we learned the days of the week." He smiles proudly. "I know all of them now."

"Really? What are they?" Makaira kicks off her shoes, carrying her nephew into the living room.

"Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.."

"Hi mom, dad." She approaches her parents, who are sitting on the couch watching TV. Then she kisses each of them on the cheek.

"I made a plate for you honey, it's on the counter." Says Mrs. Yamada.

"You didn't have to do that, I have leftovers in the fridge at home."

"Nonsense, go eat." Her mother waves a dismissive hand. "Don't refuse a freshly cooked meal."

"Okay, okay." She gives in, putting Hiroshi down so she can go into the kitchen. But he still follows her like a baby duckling, clutching to the sleeve of her blouse.

This is his first year at school, so he tends to be very clingy with Makaira once he gets to see her again. But she doesn't mind, she loves him more than anything.

"Mika, Mika, Mika."

"Yes, Hiroshi?" She hums, grabbing her plate and putting it in the microwave.

"Can we watch cartoons tonight?"

"Yes, but you have to finish all your homework first."

"Yes ma'am." Hiroshi salutes her with a serious expression, making her laugh.

He's too adorable.

"Aunt Mika, what's the surprise?"

"Hm?" She hums, sitting down at the table. The five-year old sits across from her.

"You said you were gonna get a surprise for me today."

Makaira pauses with her chopsticks in the air, suddenly remembering her failed attempt at bringing home the piano.

"Um..ice cream." She forces a smile. "Yeah, we're gonna get some ice cream before we go home."

"Yay, I love ice cream!" He cheers.

Once she finishes eating, Makaira takes her nephew out to a nearby ice cream shop.

"What flavor do you want, Hiroshi?"

"I want this one..and this one..and I like this one too." He points to several flavors in the glass case with wide eyes. "Can I have all of them?"

She giggles. "No, you can't have all of them. Pick your two favorites, you can try the other ones next time."

After some time, Hiroshi is able to narrow it down. She orders him a cone with two large scoops of ice cream doused in sprinkles and then gets a smaller one for herself.

As they sit down to eat, Hiroshi frantically licks at the cone to stop it from dripping all over his hand. She watches on with amusement.

It's crazy how much the young boy looks like his mother. The light brown eyes and the mole right above the lip, those were Naori's signature features. Every time Makaira looks at him, her heart aches.

But it has started to hurt a little less over the years.

She sighs, grabbing his hand when they're done. "C'mon, buddy, let's go home."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

When they arrive back at the house, they are instantly greeted at the door by a furry friend. Shadow, their Siamese cat, rubs up against Makaira's legs.

"Hi, kitty, kitty." She coos, picking her up.

Although the gray and white cat may seem grumpy, she loves to be held and pet.

"Go wash your hands and then finish your homework, Hiroshi." She says gently. "And then after you take a bath, you can watch your cartoons."

"Yes, Aunt Mika." He nods obediently, walking over to the sink.

He may be very energetic, but he has to be the most polite five-year old Makaira has ever seen.

The woman puts Shadow down and then grabs a can of cat food from the fridge. She fills up her food bowl with it and then puts fresh water in her water bowl.

The cat meows happily, slowly stalking over to the set of bowls and digging into the food.

Seeing that Hiroshi has busied himself with doing his homework at the kitchen table, Makaira walks over to the music room that branches off from the living room.

When Makaira and her sister originally went house shopping, they weren't looking for anything special. After all, they were still young and just wanted a little independence from their parents. But the one thing they knew their house had to have was an extra room just dedicated to music.

She sets her violin case down in it's usual spot, in the corner right next to her cello. Then she stares at the large open space where a piano used to be.

A piano that has been in their family for a very long time and their parents allowed them to take to their new house.

The two sisters would spend hours upon hours sitting on the bench together, playing whatever song they set out to learn that week. It was their thing.

And now that she's gone, that's no longer the case.

Makaira swipes her strawberry blonde hair out of her face, letting out a heavy sigh. She would give anything to talk to her sister just one more time.

"Mika, I need help with my homework."

She turns around to look at Hiroshi standing in the doorway. "I'll be there in a minute."

"Are you okay? You look sad." He walks over to her with a frown, hugging her waist.

"I'm okay, Hiro." She reassures him, running a hand through his hair. "Just missing your mommy, that's all."

A/N: here's a surprise update for y'all! just a little more background into makaira's past