54 - the night we had our very first fight

(𝑻𝒊𝒏𝒚 𝑻𝑾 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓: 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈)

***

SKYLAR

I stared at myself in the mirror. When Josh said we would be borrowing his sister's and her boyfriend's old costumes I had expected us to be dressing up as something silly and modest, like Woody and Buzz Lightyear or two cowboys, not Captain America and a modern version of one of the Star-Spangled Singers from the 1940s. Although, in hindsight, I should've known a costume that had belonged to Josh's sister would be something a little "sexier". I guess most high schoolers probably wouldn't willingly dress up as Edna Mode for Halloween – me being the exception of course.

I was wearing a blue, low-cut top with a white star on each of the lapels; a very short, striped, high-waisted skirt in red and white; a pair of white opera gloves; a small, oddly shaped, blue hat with a star on either side of it; and a pair of silver ankle strap heels. This wasn't close to anything I would usually wear, but I would be lying if I said I didn't look good in it.

At seven o'clock, Josh came to pick me up, and I managed to get to the door before anyone else did. He was standing in a Captain America pose with his feet apart and his chest puffed out, holding the shield up in front of him and grinning widely at me when I opened the door. I bit my lip and looked him up and down, doing my very best not to burst out laughing.

"What?" he asked, his smile faltering a bit under the blue Captain America cowl with holes cut out for his eyes. "Don't laugh."

I shook my head. "I'm not... I'm not laughing," I said, crossing my fingers behind my back unbeknownst to him.

His brows knitted together adorably. "Yes you are, I can see it in your eyes. What's so funny about it?" He looked down at his costume as if expecting it to have changed since he put it on, and I started to feel bad for making him self-conscious about it.

"No, I'm sorry. It's just... out of all the suits he wears throughout the different movies, it had to be the USO costume. It's not even a suit, really." I made another failed attempt to hide my smile. "And what's that mask made of? cotton? And with the, like, floppy little wings on the sides." I laughed through my nose as I stood on my tiptoes to feel the material and flick one of the wings. "I mean, it-it's cute."

"Don't call it cute, I'm Captain America, it's not supposed to be cute," he whined, and I couldn't help but to smile at him.

"I just can't believe Amy's boyfriend agreed to wear it when Amy got to wear this." I gestured down to my own costume.

"Maybe it was his only option too? Jus' like it is ours?" A grin played on his lips once again and he took a step closer to me. He was about to kiss me when the huge shield that he had forgotten he was carrying got in the way. We laughed about it before he held it out of the way and leaned down a second time to peck my lips. "At least one of us looks hot," he mumbled, inches away from my face.

"Thank you," I smiled up at him.

"Wow," I heard behind me and turned to see Taylor leaning against the dark teal door frame with her arms folded, smiling at Josh. "That is... some costume."

Josh stood up a little taller, squaring his shoulders. "I'll take that as a compliment."

Taylor smiled and nodded. "You do that. Hey, I wanna take some pictures of you two before you leave. Could you both stand over there?"

She made us stand next to each other in front of the brown wall and pose in front of the camera. My favorite pose was undoubtedly the one where I got to kiss Captain America.