57 - ghosts from your past

SKYLAR

I arrived at Maeve's house two days ago and spent all day yesterday with her and her family. Even though it had been almost a year since I lived across the street from them and used to spend a lot of time at their house, it was as if no time had passed at all. They all went right back to treating me like I was part of the family; that is to say, River yelled at me this morning for occupying the bathroom, and Maeve's mom gave me free rein in the kitchen and allowed me to use their old family desktop and whatever else I needed.

As both Mr. and Mrs. Wright had to go to work, and River and Maeve had school, they left me alone at the house. I didn't mind it since I had some schoolwork that needed to be done anyway, but at around 11 AM, I started craving a snack. I knew River had some hidden in his room that Maeve and I found last year, but I would feel bad stealing from him without Maeve, so I decided to head down to the closest store.

I was on my way to the snack aisle when I got stuck in front of the hairspray display rack that they had randomly put between the beer and the magazines. They had a lot of really fun colors that caught my attention, and everything was half off.

"Skye?" someone suddenly said behind me, and I froze in the act of reaching for a bottle of purple hairspray. I would recognize that voice anywhere.

I took a slow, deep breath to prepare myself before I grabbed the bottle and turned around to face Corinne. We hadn't spoken since I hung up on her and seeing her again made my heart unexpectedly race. I was happy with Josh now, but still, for a split second, I had the urge to leap forward and give her a hug. The thought quickly slipped away however, and I waited for Corinne to speak first.

"Hi," she said, giving me a small smile, and I had to look away because it made me realize how much I'd missed seeing it. "It's been a while," she continued, and I tried to think of something to say. I wanted to ask her whose fault that was, but I didn't want her to think I was still mad at her.

"Uh, yeah," I said instead, clearing my throat.

"How've you been?" she asked. I could feel her studying my face, and I was forced to meet her eyes again. Her dark, beautiful doe eyes.

I felt my own eyes start to fill with tears, but I furiously tried to blink them away. No, this was all wrong. If I was over Corinne, why would seeing her again almost make me cry? Maybe I wasn't as over her as I thought I was — but yes, I had to be. Corinne broke my heart, and maybe it would still have been broken if Josh hadn't come along and mended it.

I forced my lips into a fake smile. "Pretty good actually."

"That's great. Are you here visiting someone?" She grinned at me as if I was merely an old friend she hadn't seen in a while.

How could she be so happy? Did I mean that little to her? I bit my lip, trying my best to keep it together, but I wasn't just sad now, I was angry too. Could she at least apologize for breaking up with me over the phone? Or for what she had said?

"You okay?" Corinne suddenly spoke again, and she even had the audacity to look concerned. Where had this compassion been two months ago?

"Never been better," I said through gritted teeth.

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Skye, if you have something to say, then please, don't let me stop you."

If I had something to say? If? Of course I had! I had several things I wanted to say; questions I wanted to scream at her — how could she? why did she? — but of course I wouldn't actually do it. I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of seeing how much she'd really hurt me.