56 - yours for the weekend

SKYLAR

I had no idea how long I'd been lying awake in my dark room, wishing for sleep to wash over me and make the pain subside, but it was to no avail. I just couldn't fall back asleep or do anything, really, besides rolling around in bed until my sheets were all tangled around my feet. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and reached for my phone on the bedside table to call Taylor. She finally picked up on my third attempt to contact her, and by then I was curled up in a ball and silently sobbing.

"Skye?" Her voice was groggy, and she sounded really tired as if my phone call had woken her up, which was most likely also the case.

"Mom, I'm dying," I cried into the phone, not wasting any time, while squeezing my eyes shut.

She didn't say anything at first. "What? What happened? Did you hurt yourself?"

"No, Mom, I'm literally dying. I'm gettin' eaten alive from the inside."

"What are you talking about? Honey, it's midnight here, twelve AM, can you just tell me what's wrong, please?"

"Mom," I breathed out and felt slow tears running down my cheeks. "It hurts so bad."

"What hurts, Skye?" she asked, now sounding a little more alert than before.

"My stomach. I'm dying. It hurts."

She was silent for a second before saying, "Are you on your period?"

"Yes. Come home," I cried and heard her sigh through the phone.

"Baby, I'm in Tokyo. I can't just go home. But Joe is there with you, isn't he? He'll help you out."

"No, Mom. I need you. I can't walk, I can't even sit up."

"Okay, Skye, here's what we'll do. We're gonna hang up, and I'll call Joe to let him know what's up and how to help you, alright? He'll be doing exactly what I would do if I was there. Does that sound good?"

I took a few shaky breaths before mumbling, "Okay."

"Alright, Skye. I'm hanging up now and calling Joe."

As soon as she'd hung up, I dropped the phone onto the mattress next to me and pulled my legs up as far as I could against my chest, hugging them tightly. It had never hurt this bad before. Soon enough, Joe knocked on my door and walked in carrying two heating pads, one of Taylor's teacups in the shape of a cat head, and painkillers, all while talking to Taylor on the phone.

"Hi, kiddo. Heard you weren't feeling well. Has it gotten any worse? or better?" I didn't have time to answer him before he spoke into the phone. "Yeah, yeah. Give me some time to put everything down," he said to Taylor. He went over to my bed, put the Advil on the mattress next to my phone, the teacup on the bedside table, and handed me the heating pads.

He held the phone out and put it on speaker. "Alright, you're on speaker phone now."

"Skye?" I heard Taylor saying, and I nodded before I realized she couldn't see me.

"Yeah?"

"Put the heating pads on your stomach and back, it will help relieve the pain. And herbal tea works too sometimes," she explained to me, and I followed her instructions, still silently crying.

Joe sat down on the edge of my bed and watched me helplessly, as if he wanted to help but didn't know what to do. "Joe? Can you please help me get the pill out of the thingy?" I asked quietly, looking up at him with teary eyes.

He immediately nodded, put down his phone next to mine and picked up the box. "Babe, give her two," Taylor's voice said, and I watched as he handed me two pills in the palm of his outstretched hand.