Chapter 24: Creatures of Habit

"Fleur?!" Mr. Jenkins called out. He was holding himself up using his great axe as a crutch.

"I'm alright! More than alright actually!" An excited Fleur then appeared over the railing. On her face, a wide beaming smile. Also some bear blood, but that's not the point. Mrs. Jenkins soon appeared next to her, looking a little worse for wear. But still she smiled down at her husband, and even offered a little wave.

"Darian what were you thinking?" Mr. Jenkins then turned his attention towards his son, the adrenaline from battle still clearly pulsing through his veins as he charged towards his son.

Darian stood there, dumbfounded in front of Zane still. He didn't move at all while his lumbering father moved towards him.

"Why didn't you help your sister? You know she's inexperienced!" He bellowed, causing Darian to flinch.

"But... But Dad..." He stammered, unsure of what to say to defend himself.

"She could have died, you know!" Mr. Jenkins was in a state. His face was blood red, eyes practically bulging out of his head. Sylvia swore she even saw a bulging vein on his forehead. However, his last sentence was what set Darian off. He too was still high off of the battle, and wasn't going down without a fight.

"You keep babying her but she did fine!" Darian yelled back. His own face was growing red with rage. The two glared at each other, noses an inch apart.

"You have a duty to your family."

"I was protecting my Prince," Darian declared. This seemed to shut Mr. Jenkins up, as he rocked back on his heels with a dumbfound expression on his face. His mouth opened and shut a few times, reminding Sylvia of a gold fish. He was desperately searching for a rebuttle, but none was to be found.

But Zane wasn't happy with this.

"Your Prince? That's all I am huh?" He scoffed, before turning and running up the stairs away from Darian.

"Zane wait!" Darian sighed. He gave his father one last irritated glare, before turning and taking off after his lover. He raced up the stairs, taking them three at a time with his long, muscular legs. He then rounded the pillar at the top before chasing Zane down the hall.

"Wait!" Darian called out again, slowing to a jog when he was halfway down the hall. Zane stopped, however did not turn around. He just stood there in the middle of the regal red rug, his back tensing as if to prevent himself from turning, from facing Darian.

"Have you even told them?" Zane whispered, barely loud enough for Darian to hear. Darian sighed, daring to take a few steps closer to Zane. Zane head the foot steps, and whipped around to face him. They were only a couple metres apart, but Darian could already see the tell tale signs Zane was about to cry.

His face was flushed red, blotchy in certain parts of his cheeks. His eyes were misty, welling up and threatening to break the dam and cascade down. And his hands. Balled up at his sides, trying to dig the nails in deep enough to prevent him from breaking down completely.

"You know how many times I've tried to. How many times I've come out to them," Darian said. He reached out towards Zane then, but Zane flinched back away from him. He had a glare on his face now.

"It was always an issue, having to hide our relationship from them... Never being able to be ourselves whenever they were around," Zane said. He held his hands close to his chest, looking down at them to inspect the crescent moon shapes carved into his palms.

"I was out everywhere else just.... Not there."

"Then you weren't out," Zane replied swiftly, a words like daggers in Darian's ear. This made Darian slightly agitated, his soft expression turning sour.

"And what about parading me around like some kind of side show attraction?" Darian demanded. Zane blinked, shocked by his accusation.

"What do you-"

"Always "oh look I'm dating a hunter how mysterious and exotic,'" Darian said in a faux posh accent, flouncing around as he mocked Zane.

"I never-"

"Spare it. Every time we went anywhere you wanted me to do something rediculous. Like the time we were at a party and you made me crush a watermelon between my thighs!" Darian exclaimed. The sentence hung in the air like a foul smell, floating between the two of them as they stared at one another.

All of the emotions that Darian had buried down were rushing to the surface. He always maintained a calm and collected composure, being the voice or reason. But when it came to Zane, something inside him didn't want to be rational. This man made him irrational, agitated, even aggressive at times like when Quinn intervened.

It was love.

Darian sighed then, letting the tension in his muscles melt off of him and slide into the floor before disappearing.

"I can't date someone who doesn't love me for who I am. You loved me because I was a hunter, not because I was Darian," he said softly, looking down at the ground in front of him. Despite Darian losing his anger, Zane wasn't budging.

"And I can't date someone who's in the closet," he spat, before spinning on his heels and walking away. Darian could do nothing but watch as the man he loves walked away from him, and disappeared down another hall.

As promised, two chapters one day

As promised, two chapters one day. Hope you enjoyed, even if it was a little explosive