01: The shield

Before we begin, this story is technically a one-shot (published on tumblr) so it may look a bit awkward in chapter style but I hope you enjoy!

...

The flames ignite the land of the Underworld, crackling and illuminating the battle scene where a lone warrior stands at an arena filled with the creatures of the dead.

Yet the warrior does not falter, sword in hand, not even a battle cry leaving its lips.

The animals do not go to the warrior one by one, it runs in a frenzy in a crowd at all sides, never taking a moment of hesitation. That was never a word in their dictionary, they were animals after all.

Yet at the same time, hesitation was also not a word the warrior knew.

The armor he wears causes a bit of discomfort, they can tell, as if it is a little too heavy, yet he shows no mercy as the sword cuts through each creature that comes his way. He isn't just a fighter, he's a dancer. His body swerves and dodges effortlessly, blade lashing through the air with the same dance. It is the first warrior they've seen who made no noise.

The silent killer.

The last creature dies with a harsh piercing of his sword puncturing right into its heart. He stands up, forcing his sword out of its body with blood dripping to its tip but the warrior pays no mind.

They watch him steadily, waiting until the moment the brave warrior finally takes off the helmet around his head and their eyes widen.

It isn't a man. It's a woman.

A beautiful woman that should have no business in the Underworld.

She lets the tip of her sword point to the ground as she kneels in front of the seven Lords of the Underworld.

Namjoon stands up from his throne as he watches her, now just a tiny body amidst the large arena filled with dead creatures of the dark.

You've killed them all on your own. A job none of the previous contestants have been able to do. A woman.

"Name," the God of the Underworld commands.

"Y/N," you answer.

.

.

.

"I will not allow you to become my shield," the God repeats again for you to hear him loud and clear since you still could not take a hint.

"Give me a reason, my king," you ask of him, refusing to back down that easily after what you did to prove yourself. "Is it for the reason that I am born a woman?"

"It is for the reason that you are a mortal," he bellows but you remain composed even while kneeling in front of the throne room of the seven Lords. "If I wanted a shield that can be killed in a split second, I would have chosen a crow. Do you really have such courage to believe you are worthy enough to stand by my side? By our side? Knowing you are a mortal in the Underworld who can die with a snap of my fingers? You put yourself on a pedestal, foolish mortal."

"I do not, my king," you reply sincerely. "I will prove myself to you, whatever you ask of me, I shall do as you command to prove that I am someone worthy to protect a God."

You were truly a foolish mortal, but the longer he looks at you, the easier it was for him to say that you were indeed brave. No one has ever approached a God, not to say seven, with the fear of their life being thrown away. But you came prepared, stubborn, but prepared.

"Leave the Underworld," Namjoon orders, "bring me one head of the Lernaean Hydra and come back to this exact spot you are at." Jungkook, the Lord of Darkness, scoffs but he ignores it with a small lopsided smile played at his lips because he knows it will be impossible especially for some mortal. "If you can come back in one piece with the prize, I will deem you worthy to stand by my side."