28: Never forget

160:12:20

160 hours left. 12 minutes. 20 seconds.

7 days left.

"You're leaving? For how long?"

"About a month."

Your mouth dries at the answer and you stay there in your spot, staring at a blank spot, straight through Kai, who tilts his head with big eyes that indicates his confusion.

"Noona?" He calls.

You force a smile as you hold his shoulders. "A month?" You echo his reply while running your hands along his arms. "That's quite a while."

"It's just a month, noona, it'll pass by like no time."

That's what I'm afraid of.

You won't see him in your last moments. You won't even be able to bid him a proper goodbye without him knowing of your supposed death to come, quicker than time allows it.

So you hold onto him, hoping not to cry, yet your tears never listens to you these days so it falls without hesitation and Kai is quick to begin panicking.

"Noona, noona, I'll be back! You don't have to worry!"

The way he tries to reassure you only makes your heart ache more and more tears follows. "I'm really going to miss you," you cry and his heart breaks at the sight. "Please, Kai, you have to remember your promise."

"To never forget you?" He recalls and it's the smile he gives you that breaks you a little more. "I will never forget, noona. You're too cool and important to forget and besides, I don't ever forget someone that easily, especially not in a month, especially not you."

"I'm scared."

"Hey, it's okay." In the hospital room alone, Kai takes the mask off your face and it makes the tears slip down your cheeks. He's there to wipe them all away, even the ones that continues raining. "I never break my promises, noona, you can trust me."

"Mmn," you nod, "I trust you."

"Then no more tears okay?" You nod again, sniffing softly. "Good noona," he giggles before adding again, "I will never forget you."

A knock comes before you can even stop it and you're quick to put on your mask again as Jimin pops his head in.

"Kai, mother's waiting for you."

The little boy looks back at you one last time as he places a soft little kiss on your nose before hopping off the bed, taking the hand Jimin offers him.

"Kai," you call and he doesn't hesitate to look back. "I love you," you tell him.

Kai giggles. "I love you, noona."

It is the last smile and words you hear from the little boy that was first to see your heart.