12: To lose and to forget

"You cannot love a mortal."

Your heart sinks a little but you refuse to show your weakness in front of Zeus, remaining calm despite the harsh words.

But besides you, Namjoon grows angry in both your cases. "You cannot tell me who to love," he says, jaws locked with clenched teeth.

"What's wrong with losing a woman, Hades? You already have seven lovers." Meaning you are an easy replacement and that Namjoon has no other room in his heart for you. You want to lose courage but the God of the Underworld only squeezes your hand out of desperation, as if silently telling you you have to stay strong in order for it to work out.

"And how many women have you loved during your life, Zeus?" He's angry, the first time you've ever seen the man lose his cool. "What is wrong with loving eight at a time? You have never opposed of any of my relationships, why now?"

"Because she is a mortal."

"Y/N is not just a mortal."

"Just because she is your shield does not make it alright to make her your queen." Zeus stands up from his throne and stares right at your God. "The only way you can make a woman your queen is if she is a Goddess but the process in your case will be harder than any trial a new Goddess will have to go through." He looks at you for a split second, a little light of hope before looking away as he shakes his head. "It will never work."

Namjoon's brows furrows but this time added with curiosity and you know you are curious too. "And what is that trial?"

Zeus doesn't say it right away.

"Reincarnation."

This time, you speak up. "Reincarnation?"

"There has only been three trials done since the beginning of time," Zeus explains. "For a mortal to become a Goddess, the couples must walk into a portal that transports them into another world where she has to understand the meaning of loss, love, and sacrifice. And for the trial to be successful, the mortal must also make the God fall in love with her again."

"How is that difficult?" Namjoon frowns.

"Because they are given a certain amount of time in order to complete the trial, three months max," Zeus tells him with a pointed look. "And during those three months, the God is oblivious to ever knowing her or even being a God. Obstacles will be in the way that will make it almost impossible to make them fall in love, especially under a three month limit. Once the time is up, nature takes its course for her death to occur and if the God has not fallen in love with her during the reincarnation period, she will go into the Underworld and he will return to his throne, memories of her gone into existence."

Gone into existence.

You shiver at the thought and look up at Zeus, a bit fearful for your question.

"And..the mortal?" You ask. "What happens to her?"

Zeus looks at Namjoon as he answers. "Every mortal who dies a life without doing no evil in the world will be reborn or turned to heaven." He turns to you again, eyes filled with a glint of empathy. "She, too, loses her memories and any memories of her made through our history will be wiped away from all of our minds. Meaning we will never know who you are either."

"Oh." The room is silent as you and Namjoon does not know what to say because the harsh truth is too much to bare. You don't ever want to forget them and you're sure he doesn't either. Namjoon's hold on your hand tightens to convey his feelings to you and you immediately understands.

He loves you, he doesn't want you to ever leave him. But remaining a mortal will mean no future to your relationship. Risking your love to become a Goddess may give you a future.