20: The sincere eyes, the sincere heart

1300:06:43

1300 hours left. 6 minutes. 43 seconds.

2 months left.

You want to say that you are getting closer to your goal but you have no idea what to conclude.

One minute you think you're getting close, the next minute, Miran catches their attention again.

One minute Miran is around and they shower her with love, the next minute your side remarks and silly clumsy self distracts them from her.

All you can say is that Kai is a sweet boy whom you hope will live on for a long time, hoping if you become a Goddess, the two of you can meet again in the Underworld when life takes him away. You wonder if he will remember you. After all, the life you are in now isn't something set in place. The Lords of the Underworlds aren't actually real CEOs, you aren't a real bodyguard, and Miran and Kai only plays a small role in this story.

You doubt he will remember you as the cool bodyguard he's come to love. You doubt he will remember the story you've told him about yourself.

But a part of you hopes he will remember once he walks into the Underworld. You hope the Lords will allow him to stay despite the rules of good people being rebirth or sent to heaven. You hope they will love you enough to have them break one rule just for you.

"Hey Kai?"

"Yeah noona?"

"If something ever happens to me someday, promise me you'll never forget me okay?"

He looks up from where he sits beside you, blinking in confusion. "Why do you say it like something will happen to you, noona?" He asks with a pout. "Something won't happen to you, right?"

"Well, you never really know, Kai," you tell him. "One minute everything's great, the next, it feels as if the whole world is against you."

"Whether the world is against you or not, I will always be on your side, noona," Kai promises. "And I will never forget the cool noona that hides her face behind a mask for reasons I don't know yet."

It's incredible how small little words from Kai is enough to put a sweet smile upon your face. If only the seven others can be this way but you know that it is much more difficult for grown men who has yet to fall out of love with their girlfriend first.

"I made a promise to someone that I will never reveal my face unless the person has looked into my heart first."

"Wow noona, I thought the story was going to be a bit sadder but that person must really cherish you, huh?" Kai giggles. "And you must be really beautiful."

"I wouldn't say that," you say with a bitter taste. "Maybe he just thought a little too highly of me."

"No way. I told you, didn't I, noona? That if your eyes are pretty then you must be even prettier without your mask. It doesn't take a lot to know that one of the most beautiful heart has the most beautiful face. And your heart is really beautiful."

"Really?" Your eyes turns a little glossy and you hope that he doesn't catch it under the night sky. "But Miran's pretty too."

There's a little scrunch of his nose. "Miran noona's pretty but I don't get what my brother and the rest of the hyungs see in her," he admits truthfully. "She doesn't do much, she only lets others take care of her like she can't take care of her own self. I wouldn't mind it if she was considerate and tries to do things on her own but before Jimin hyung moved out, I'd always hear his phone ringing because she needs his help with almost everything and he never gets to hang out with me because of her. Although she may seem nice, I think she puts herself before others. I just miss my hyung, you know?"