Chapter 20: Cheering

"You need to get your head out of your ass and go make out with a girl. We've been at this party for a hour and you haven't even tried to talk to anyone besides me." Tristan rolled his eyes at me and took a long swig of his beer.

"I'm just hanging out man, nothing to worry about. I guess I'm not looking for any drama at the moment. You know how girls are. You kiss them once and suddenly you two are in love. I like girls, but not that much right now." I shrugged and hoped he wouldn't say anything more about it.

"So your temporarily gay? Or has this been going on for awhile." He eyes me suspiciously, a look of disgust on his face. It was a good thing he didn't know I was hanging out with Callum.

"No. Nothing like that. You know me, the player, heartbreaker, stereotypical quarterback," I cringed at the last one, knowing I was being so hypocritical, "and I just don't want to have a girl hanging on my shoulder the rest of the night. Besides, it doesn't look like you've done anything tonight."

"Dude, I've went in like, five bedrooms. What the hell's up with you? You never turn down girls, let alone not even try to get one at a party like this." As he sat on the table, he motioned towards the party. It was yet another gathering of mindless drunk teenagers grinding on each other and hoping to get more after the party, or during, depending on how drunk they were.

"I guess I'm just tired. You know, we also have a math test to study for that's happening on Monday, and you know I suck at it. I think I'm going to bail. I've got to go..." I thought of a good excuse for the real reason I needed to get home, "iron... my cat."

"Since when do you have a cat?" He slurred, the alcohol clinging to his breath.

"Since always. Duh." I tried to sound nonchalant, but in the state he was in, it didn't really matter anyway.

"Fine. Be a prude. See what I care." He waved a dismissing hand until he caught sight of someone that was probably his next target. I was too annoyed to even look, so I headed the other way and out the door where there was red solo cups all around the lawn. What a cliché, as Andy would've said if she was there. I wished she was there, but I knew there was no chance in hell she was going to ever come to a party like Tristan's, even if her life depended on it. She just wasn't that kind of girl.

It was barely snowing that night, but the cold still crept through my body, making me shiver slightly. I wish everything was like the cold. I know it sounds weird, but I really do. See, the cold stays with you for a little while, then it disappears as soon as you get warm. It's almost unfair, really. How the cold can leave but pain can stay for a lifetime. It was something that everyone wished would happen but never did, no matter how hard they tried.

"Cole, what are you doing home so early?" Grandma barked, looking up from her crossword puzzle. I knew I wasn't going to be gone for very long, so I didn't call Maria.

"I just felt like chilling at home I guess." I shrugged and walked past her and towards the stairs when she spoke again.

"You didn't go with the girl, did you?" I stopped dead in my tracks and turned towards her.

"Well no. Why?"

"Oh Cole, my boy, you're funny. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid."

"I know that. What do you mean?"

"You like her, at the least. I can tell. You're not very good at keeping secrets, Cole."

"I know. She knows it too," I ran a hand through my hair, "it's just that she doesn't like me. I've tried to charm her and be spontaneous, but nothing works. The worst part of it all is that I can't get her out of my head. What's wrong with me Grandma?"