Chapter 28: Holly Jolly Stupid Holiday

WARNING THIS CHAPTER IS NOT YET EDITED SORRY

______________________________________________

Christmas. What a holly jolly stupid holiday.

Maybe it was the way that smiles all seem to be permanently plastered on peoples faces, or how happy families always seemed to be in front of me in every department store line, but the holiday was getting on my already agitated nerves, and I was going to throw a Christmas tree at someone pretty quickly. That wasn't even sarcasm either.

My aunt but decorations around the house, which was pointless because the only people that ever went to our house were Cole and his family, but nevertheless she kept stringing lights and hanging decorations her patients had gave her over the years. I, on the other hand, was not doing anything Christmas related.

"You should invite Cole's family for Christmas dinner. It would be nice for them, you know? To have a nice meal? I doubt they'll be having a nice one." Dawn suggested to me as she climbed a ladder to hang some lights up on the top of the kitchen cupboards.

"Should I now?" I asked as I flipped through a magazine on the couch, not really reading the articles. It was a medical magazine. I wanted to look at the pictures of the people and ponder what was going through their minds as they posed for the pictures. Maybe they were thinking about the next meal they were going to eat, or how much money they were going to be paid, or maybe who would see these pictures.

"Rosemary," Her voice snapped me out of my thoughts, "what do you think of that idea?"

"Well, I think it could go one of two ways. Either they come and exchange life stories that we will forget less than one second after they leave or there's a disagreement between two individuals, most likely Cole and I, and it ends with broken door hinges and sore throats." I sat upon the couch so that I wasn't hiding from her behind the couch backrest.

"I'm asking you a serious question. Now please answer it appropriately." She rolled her eyes and stepped down from the ladder, staring at me as I pretended to be intensely interested in an add for catheters.

"And I'm seriously answering it. That's what would happen." I shrugged, flipping the page to STD diagnosis hacks.

"Okay then. I'll phone them. By the way, I know you aren't reading that magazine. I highly doubt you'd be interested in the sexual organ specialty issue." She smirked and walked over to the phone, holding it for a second to mockingly smile at me before dialing the numbers.

I threw the magazine across the couch and ran upstairs, not wanting to hear the conversation between my aunt and the guy I kissed. Surely it was going to be awkward, seeing as how Cole couldn't even talk to me without at least stuttering five times consecutively. He may have been all talk on the outside, but really he was just a scared guy with insecurities.

~

~

The music was drowning out my thoughts. All of them. My heart matched the beat, and my eyes closed, letting myself get lost. It was all muscle memory, but I didn't view it that way. In my mind, my feelings were pulsing through my body, all emotions consuming me to their full potential. Every move I made let all the energy flow through my fingertips and into the air, waiting to be caught by someone else.

I believed that there was only so much of each emotion on this earth to start with, and when you lost an emotion another person gained that. That was why everyone was becoming more numb with the growing population on earth. There wasn't enough emotion to go around. It was the reason depression rates were climbing with every generation- because people with depression don't have feelings. They're numb.

Her Mysterious WaysOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara