Chapter 30: The Morning After

I woke up with the feeling of something warm on my back.

My eyes opened, and I wasn't in my own room either. Then the memories of the night before came in a hurricane along with me springing out of bed, knocking the warm feeling that was on my back off of the bed in the process.

"What the..." Cole rubbed his eyes and opened them, and when he saw me, his eyes really opened. Then it just looked like he was terrified.

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit. I was not supposed to fall asleep. This was not supposed to happen. I was not supposed to wake up beside you." I cursed in a whisper, pacing the floor and frantically trying to think of how I was going to get out of his house unseen.

"Good morning to you too." He sarcastically said, smiling a little as he got up.

"Cole, this isn't funny. How am I supposed to go home without them seeing me? Hmm?" I was freaking out. There was no way that we weren't going to get caught.

"Well I'm not worried. I used to have to get myself out of situations much worse than this. This is easy. You're the one that should be worrying. Your aunt will wonder where you are."

"She went to work at 4am. She won't even know I'm gone. And how are you going to talk yourself out of this one?"

"I'll just say you came over early this morning before they woke up, which isn't even a lie. See? Logic." He tapped his forefinger against his temple a couple of times with a mocking expression on his face.

"I hate you." I laughed and threw a pillow at him, which he caught. Stupid jock talents.

"I know." He said with a smile and a shrug.

And that was it. We both just looked at each other and knew what we were thinking. So downstairs we went.

~

~

"One or two eggs?" Cole asked me from the kitchen. I was sitting at the table while Gracie and Grandma sat in the living room.

After we came downstairs Cole used his very persuading words to let Gracie and Grandma know that I had come over that morning. It was a good thing that his Grandma wasn't lucid at that point and that Gracie was still half asleep. Then Gracie told me that I needed to stay for breakfast, causing the situation that was happening before me.

"Eggs for what?" My mind was on other things than his question, so his answer took me by surprise.

"For your ovaries. No Rosemary, for breakfast. What did you think I meant? I'm cooking breakfast, with eggs on my right and a frying pan in front of me. It's so obvious." He didn't look at me the whole time he was talking, so I didn't know what he was thinking, but his voice was stern and almost mad.

"Well I'm sorry." I put my hands up, because I honestly didn't know how else to react.

"Sorry. I was thinking about something else and I snapped. That was uncalled for." His hands gripped the handle of the oven and he put his head down, like he was thinking about something really painful.

"Well do you want to talk about it?" I asked, shocking him and myself. He finally looked up at me, and this expression of gratefulness filled his face.

"Thank you, but it's not that easy." He half-smiled and then went back to cooking his eggs. "One or two?"

"Just one. I only need one."

~

~

"What are we doing?" I asked as Cole lead me down a series of streets. It was a Tuesday and I didn't know where we were going, or what we were doing, but he had his camera and I had flyaway hair.