Chapter 25: I See You

Explaining things to Gracie wasn't easy. It was like trying to explain how babies were made every time you had to tell her something, and this was no exception.

"Ooh. Cole and Andy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-" She started but I quickly lunged for her and covered her mouth.

"Gracie, this is not what it looks like, okay?" I reassured her, not wanting to talk too loud in case Grandma or Mrs. Naomi heard, because we all know that would be awkward to explain.

"Then what were you doing?" She put her hands on her hips and gave me a cold stare like the sassy pants she was.

"Andy just needed a hug. That's all. Nothing else." I tried to set her straight, but everyone knew Gracie was harder convince.

"Really?" Her little voice questioned, like she had any idea what was going on, which she didn't. Her little five year-old brain couldn't even comprehend what the situation was.

"Yes. Now go wash your hands and we'll meet you at the dinner table. Okay?" I gave her a smile, and as if a switch went off in her head, she smiled like nothing happened.

"Okay! We're having lots of food! And I made it!" She skipped off happily and left Andy and I alone...again.

"Well that was surprisingly easy." I looked at Andy and shrugged, getting up and offering my hand. She took it, so I helped her up. She started to follow me into the kitchen when she tugged my sleeve.

"Cole," she stopped, her eyes boring into mine, "thanks."

"You're welcome?" I answered. I didn't really know what I did, but whatever it was it seemed to be good because it earned me physical contact with her. Physical contact. Even though it wasn't the kind that all teenage boys strive for, I was going to take it and run. Like not literally run, but you know. Metaphorically run. Yeah that...yeah.

"Not everyone would listen to that story and care, so thank you. Really." And then she let go of my arm and walked past me, just like that.

After a minute of trying to figure out how to take that, I slowly sauntered into the kitchen, like I hadn't just heard a horrific backstory of a girl that I liked very much but couldn't have for reasons that I knew but didn't understand.

Fuck my life.

"Cole! Just sit wherever. It really doesn't matter." Mrs. Naomi told me, gesturing towards the table as she dried her hands with a hand towel.

"Thank you." I gave her a curt nod and sat down where I was soon joined by Andy when she sat directly beside me. Beside me.

"Oh Cole. You're going to love the dinner. Gracie heled make it." Grandma winked, clearly excited to have an actual meal since the last time we ate with Andy and Mrs. Naomi, which was at the zoo, where the forest was, where Andy and I...

"Is something wrong?" Andy asked, dragging me out of my thoughts, which I was grateful for.

"No. Nothing's wrong. Nothing at all." I gave her a smile that was more flat than anything, like in TV shows when someone is accusing them of something and all they can do is give them the look that says 'oh well' as they shrug their shoulders.

"You were just staring off into space, that's all." She shrugged and started fiddling with the utensils in front of her.

"I was just thinking, that's all." I looked back at her, but she still had her head down, so I looked at Grandma, who was seated across from me and saw her wink with a smirk on her face.

Oh my God Grandma. Could you be any more embarrassing?

"I'm here! Did I miss dinner? Oh I hope I didn't." Gracie came barreling into the room, breathless.