Chapter 11: The Pen

I ran to the hospital. I knew what I was doing. It was only 7 o'clock, so it wasn't like it was late, but the crisp feeling of fall started to creep under my hoodie and into my bones. Despite it, I ran, but this time I wasn't running from someone. No. This time I was running to them.

I smiled. For the first time in years, I was smiling for real. I was smiling because I had a reason to smile. This reason was what I longed for. I longed for this moment for all of my life. Although I still had a while before I could see her, I was almost positive I would. Even if this didn't work out. Even if we could only be friends for the rest of our lives, I would take it. Andy was someone that I wanted to get to know. I wanted to know every single part of her. Now, I don't mean physically or in a stalker way. I wanted to know everything there was to know about her even though I knew I would never know it all. She was such an intoxicatingly complex human being that I knew I would never understand her if I tried all my life, but that's what I loved about her. She was... her.

I arrived at the hospital tired but full of energy. In finally figured out how to fit one piece into the puzzle of Andy, or whatever her name was.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist asked politely.

"Yeah," I told her breathlessly, "I need to speak to Dr. Naomi."

"Umm... okay. I will call her down. You can just sit in the waiting room."

"Thanks." I smiled and sat down. I really needed to see Andy.

Then Dr. Naomi walked over to me and shook my hand for the second time. I stood up and smiled brightly. Probably not what she was expecting in a hospital.

"What brings you here, Cole? Is you're grandmother alright?" A concerned look crawled across her face despite the confusion.

"Oh, yes. She's totally fine. I'm not here for her. This is about Andy. I believe that she is related to you in some kind of way."

"Umm... Oh yes. Andy. She is my neice. Why are you here then?"

"Well, you see, I am her friend at school and I was talking to her earlier today and she ran off with no explination. It was almost like Cinderella, because she left her pen behind, so I picked it up and saw that it had your name on it. Then I put two and two together because you have the same hair color and you sorta look alike so I figured that you were related to her somehow. Also, because she left so suddenly, I wanted to talk to her and I have no idea where she lives, so that's where you come in. All I am asking you is to give me her adress so that I can talk to her." I said the whole thing in one breath. She just nodded and smiled.

"Well, I will have to call her to make sure that you know her for sure, but you seem like the type that wouldn't lie. Also, I'm happy that she's making some friends, even if it is a boyfriend."

"Oh no. It's not like that, ma'am. We are just friends. I just find her so interesting, but she doesn't tell me much about herself. She's sorta guarded in that way." I scratched the back of my neck out of nervousness. Dr. Naomi walked over to the desk and phoned Andy. They exchanged a few words, but instead of hanging up and teling me that I couldn't go, she motioned for me to walk over to her. I did and she gave the phone to me without an explination or a reason. She just pursed her lips and waited for me to talk into the receiver.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Cole?" Andy's voice sounded the same on the phone as it did in real life.

"Hey." I breathed into the phone.

"Hey. Why are you at the hospital exactly?"

"Umm... trying to find you."

"Why?"