39 - Good decisions; Bad decisions

"Why haven't you told me things were this bad, Luna?"

I scoff, "We're not your responsibility anymore. Why the hell are you here anyway?"

"I am glad that boy called me. He was truly worried about you and so am I."

When I catch him alone, I'll twist his balls so hard, that he'll be singing in a higher tune. Like a fucking soprano.

"Y-you're here," my mom stutters, still enthralled that my dad showed up after all of these years. "You're back."

Aiden steps a little closer. His back is straight and his shoulders are squared back with his hands stuffed inside his fronts pocket. There's an unreadable expression on his face but his eyes seem to be speaking volumes. To my mum at least, because she looks down.

My eyes burn with tears that I refuse to shed and my heart thumps its way out of my chest through my throat. It makes me want to interfere, tell him everything that's lodged inside and scream at him to do the only thing he is good at. Leave.

"How could you?"

How could you?

"That's what I should be asking you! How can you be here, demanding an explanation when you abandoned us all of those years ago?"

I can't bring myself to leave her and never look back, even if she is awful to me. I am really curious about how he did that for so many years...

"I was devastated when you left me," she whimpers, bringing his attention from me to her.

"That doesn't give you the right to turn into an abusive parent."

I scoff - loudly, may I add. He looks at me with what seems to be regret whirling around in his eyes but it doesn't bring my attitude down.

His question is not valid. Was he better than her for leaving?

Which parent is the best one? The abusive or the absent one? I feel like I'm choosing between having to catch either the black plague or cholera.

"Does it not?" My mom's voice raises and I wince. "If she hadn't seen you with that bitch, nothing would have happened. You wouldn't have left."

"Do not blame our daughter for our mistakes. You knew from the beginning we weren't serious and you went and got pregnant behind my back anyway. I tried to do the right thing and stand by you but I fell in love." He pinches the bridge of his nose and draws in a sharp breath. "Sooner or later I would have left you anyway, the only thing I regret is leaving her behind too," he sighs.

My chest tightens at the new information.

"Right," she scoffs. "You found love and forgot all about your ex-wife and daughter."

"No. I didn't." He shakes his head. "You know I called your phone every single day after school time to talk to her, I came around for the weekends' setups up until she graduated but you wouldn't show up nor let me see her."