52 - Destroyed me

"What do you mean twenty thousand for a fucking bail?"

"Sit down," my dad grits out.

"No!" I yell. "I didn't fucking do it. I wasn't even in that damned hotel, ask the fucking supermarket guy. I went there, sat my ass down on the alley and drank myself to sleep. He'll vouch for me."

"The thing is, Dylan," the lawyer starts. "The supermarket guy no longer works there and the hotel's system was down when you got out. On top of that, the reception guy doesn't recall you leaving. The tests were done on Abby show rape but are inconclusive for semen. Meaning, there was contraception. Her nails were clean so, whoever did it, kept track of what not to leave behind."

"But I wasn't there!"

"We know," My dad tries. "We believe you, son. But-"

"But everything's circumstantial. And since the room was under your name and you were seen getting in and there's no way to prove you exited it..."

Fucking hell. It's been a fucking long week.

They've only let my dad in with the lawyer. No other visits, at all and now I have the chance to wait for a trial at home if I pay twenty-thousand euros. There's no fucking way I would even ask my parent for that kind of money. Whether they have it or not.

"Then, I'll wait for trial here."

"That's nonsense. It will make you look guilty," my dad speaks up.

"Won't it make me look guilty if I have to pay to wait at home? What's even the fucking point of it anyway? The world's set out to deem me guilty already."

"It's not up for discussion," Dad warns. "You're not spending New Year's here by yourself. Your mother is close to a breakdown, or to chop my head off. If I don't get you home today she'll kill everyone in their wake."

"Mum can't hurt a fly," I grunt.

"She can hurt whoever is in her path if someone hurts her baby. It's been a struggle to keep her at home as it is, if I go back alone today, she'll come here and get you herself," he sighs.

She didn't seem keen to defend me when I got arrested, though. But I refrain from speaking those words otherwise Liam Davis would have my head instead.

On the other hand, though, I have no idea what she went through, despite knowing what happened in general. And dad has always made it clear that we shouldn't take it personally, that how she reacts has nothing to do with us.

But it still fucking hurts.

"But that's a lot of money, dad. I can't-"

"It's decided."

⛓️⛓️⛓️

The moment Uncle Jake's house entrance door opens, I rush downstairs to my bedroom and lock the door behind me. Not even sparing a glance at my mum and siblings, who stood up as soon as we stepped inside. I know they missed me and want to see how I am doing but right now I can't...