46 - Christmas

"Stop fidgeting and go call your brothers

"Stop fidgeting and go call your brothers." 

It's Christmas day and mum's been insufferable all day long, scolding me and ordering me around with endless tasks. The bump is showing already, getting bigger as time goes by. She can still do everything but I've noticed she has been asking a lot of stuff. Or maybe it's me? It's been a while since I've felt this nervous and she's trying to get my mind off of it.

It's stupid really, I've met her father already and she's met my family before but still, it feels different. Makes it all the more official. 

However, it's not the only thing that's been bothering me. Spending time with her or texting and not being able to tell her those fucking words? I'm wasting away every time I feel like blurting it out and have to hold myself back.

That's why I have a plan, and it won't go past tomorrow.

"Dylan!" My mum calls me.

"On my way," I grumble, heading upstairs to get Jeremy and Wilder.

The same moment I open their bedroom door is the moment the doorbell rings and two tiny meerkats run over me.

"Luna!" They both exclaim, running downstairs. 

I grab Wilder before he can reach the staircase and carry him, unbothered, as he trashes against my arms. When we reach the ground floor, I let him go and he almost trips on his own feet to crash against Luna, who's already being crushed by Jeremy and my mum.

Behind them, Aiden is talking to uncle Jake and my dad.

Well, I am no longer the family's favourite. I am just glad their favourite is also my favourite. 

"You're glowing," Luna gushes to my mum.

"Arg, everyone keeps telling me that but I feel like a hippo already." She whines. "Here, you probably can't feel anything yet but well, people enjoy doing it." She grabs her hand and places it on her bump. 

I am still amazed at how quickly they've clicked and how well they get along.

Until this, I never knew I wanted my mother to get along with my girlfriend this much. But I do, there's no downgrading from here on out. 

I ain't changing woman either, obviously.

"Hey baby," I coo when my mum finally lets go of her, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and bringing her in for a quick kiss. 

"Hey," she breathes with closed eyes. 

"You okay?" I whisper, caressing her cheek.

She nods at the same time someone yanks her away from me," Alright, that's still my daughter. Hands to yourself." 

Aiden is maintaining a serious face but I can't help but not take him seriously. She can be his daughter but I have been with her longer, if anything he should be thankful I brought him back to her life.