Ladies Choice

"What did you do this time Layah?" Juxana my best friend a beautiful Betazid grills me after Kirk returns to his seat. 

"I helped him pull a little prank on Mr. Scott. But Commander caught me. Thus I am attending this meeting in his stead." She shakes her head at me and I block her long blond ponytail.

"Are you two ever going to grow up?" Staring at her I raise one of my perfectly angled eyebrows at her. 

"Your question is illogical we are already grown." I try not to laugh as she presses her lips together.

Hearing a low whistle the room goes silent. Kirk, Spock, Sulu, and Dr. McCoy stand up. As I am now representing engineering Kirk motions for me to join them. I quietly get up and walk over standing next to Dr. McCoy. 

"Nice to see my favorite troublemaker outside of sickbay. What did you do to Mr. Scott?" He nudges my arm waiting for me to answer. 

"I'll tell you after the meeting." He mutters something about me being the oddest pointy ear he knows. I only smile accepting his compliment. 

It took me a good two months to get used to Dr. McCoy's, or Bones as he's also known. His sarcastic way of talking is odd for a doctor. But as Kirk says, damn it if he isn't one of the best.

"First off I want to welcome you all to the Enterprise. She's a fine ship and we're all fond of her. I am Captain James T. Kirk and I am now responsible for all of you. I look forward to getting to know and working with you. Now I will allow the heads of each area to introduce themselves." 

He steps back to allow Spock to step forward and address the science officers. Spock steps forward with his hands clasped behind his back. He looks even taller when he stands in front of everyone. 

"I am Commander Spock the lead science officer on the Enterprise. Though I am the lead officer many of you will be assigned as assistants to one of the many scientists with labs onboard. Within the hour you should receive your orders. Welcome to the Enterprise." 

As Spock steps back Sulu comes forward a bright smile on his face. 

"I am Chief of Security, Hikaru Sulu." His deep friendly voice relaxes many of the nervous new officers. 

"Those assigned to me should have already received their orders. Please report on time tomorrow to your lead officer. Again, welcome aboard." 

Dr. McCoy takes a deep breath grumbling something about hating public speaking, but as Sulu steps back he steps forward. 

"Dr. McCoy head of medicine. All new medics will report to sickbay at 07:00. The rest of you lot I want to meet outside of sickbay. But should you need anything please know we'll get you taken care of, oh and welcome." 

He steps back giving me a smirk. "Your turn." 

Stepping forward I silently thank Mr. Scott for assaulting my ears all week as he practiced his speech. 

"As I am sure you can already tell I am not Mr. Montgomery Scott the head of engineering. Due to an unforeseen incident, I am standing in for him. I am Lieutenant Layah Stephens of engineering. All Mr. Scott asks is that you come wearing your thinking caps and ready to learn. Shift schedules will change allowing you a life outside. Welcome aboard the Enterprise, if we take good care of her she'll take good care of us." 

Stepping back I raise an eyebrow at Dr. McCoy.

"I don't know what's worse a smartass Vulcan that know their one or one that doesn't." He playfully nudges my side as I try not to laugh.