Chapter 21

"You know, it's a shame your siblings aren't here. They're the main source of my entertainment" Emerson said as he was reading a book he had gotten from Lucas's shelf.

"Liz is just a house down, you can have a tea party with her and her friend, or if you want to hang out with the twins, I'll gladly drive you to the middle school and you can sit with Mason, and watch Michael practice," Lucas said with an eye roll.

"Won't their practice end in like an hour?" Emerson asked and Lucas nodded.

Lucas felt his phone vibrate. "They're almost here," Lucas said, looking at the text message he received before looking back at Emerson whose attention was directed at the book.

"Okay. You know you should let me borrow this book, it's really interesting" Emerson said, his eyes not leaving the page he was on.

"Yeah? It's nice to know we both share similar tastes in books, but you can borrow it. Just make sure you eventually return it" Emerson nodded.

He continued reading until they heard the doorbell. "Ah, they're here, remind me to take the book before I leave," Emerson said, and Lucas in return nodded.

"Okay, I will. Let's go downstairs now" Emerson closed the book and placed it on top of the nightstand before getting off the bed, both of them leaving the room.

"I'm gonna get something to drink," Emerson said, walking towards the kitchen, as Lucas went to open the front door.

"Hi!" Lucas said once he had opened the door, revealing Wilson and Cameron.

"Hey," Wilson said with a smile while Cameron simply nodded in acknowledgment. Lucas stepped aside, motioning them to come inside.

"Right well you can go wait in the living room, but put four pillows surrounding that small table, and I'll go get the games," Lucas said, going up to his room.

Emerson walked towards the living room, with a can of monster which they bought from seven-eleven before they had arrived at the house. It was cold since he had left it inside the refrigerator.

"Oh hey, I was wondering where you were," Wilson said, as he finished setting up the pillow, he and Cameron sitting beside each other.

"I was at the kitchen grabbing something to drink" Emerson answered, sitting down on the pillow, placing his monster on top of the table.

"You drink the original monster? Have you ever tried other flavors?" Wilson asked and Emerson nodded.

"Yeah, I've tried a decent amount of them but this one is my favorite"

"Nice, my favorite is the mango one, specifically mango loco. The designs on the can are also really cool" Emerson nodded in agreement.

"All the zero sugar, ultra monsters are good, like the citrus flavor one," Cameron said, Wilson surprised he engaged in the conversation.

"That's the white one, right?" Cameron nodded. "That one is really good, the zero sugar ones are really good for some reason," Wilson said, Emerson, adding "Agreed."

"What are you guys talking about?" Lucas said, walking towards them. He placed the games on the table before sitting down on the pillow which was placed near Emerson.

"Monster flavors"

"Eh? Aren't monsters bad for you? I'm pretty sure it increases your blood pressure" Lucas said, all three of them raised an eyebrow.

"I thought you were stupid?" Cameron said, making Wilson burst out laughing, while Emerson snorted.

"I'm not! Just a little challenged academically wise and a bit slow on a few things but I still consider myself average when it comes to smarts" Lucas said defensively.

"So you're stupid?" Cameron said and this time Emerson laughed loudly.

"You're a menace Cam," Wilson said trying to catch his breath, wiping a few tears from his eyes due to laughing tremendously.

"Wow, every day I come here and I get bullied, and for what?" Lucas said, frowning. "Because you know we're joking," Emerson said and Lucas rolled his eyes.

"Sure I do. Anyways enough bullying me, let's play a game, uno or monopoly?" Lucas asked.

"We should start with the easier one, so uno," Wilson said, and the other two nodded.

"Alright"

Lucas opened the box, taking out the cards. He started shuffling them after he finished shuffling, he gave each player seven cards.

"You guys know the rules right?" Lucas asked. "Uh, there's rules?" Cameron asked curiously since he had never even played uno before.

"Obviously, every game has rules."

"Do tell then" Cameron said, motioning Lucas to state the rules.

"Since every player plays differently, here's how we're gonna play. I'll put down the number five, with the color blue. You can only put down the color blue or a different color if the number is the same as the one I placed down, like number five, with the color red. If you don't have any of those, you'll pick up one card from the deck. If you grab a card from the deck and it's the same color or number from the card the previous person put on the deck, you can put it down." He started explaining.

"If you put down a plus two, the person who goes next can add to that, and so on. You can't put a plus-four when there's a plus two, and the same for the other way around. When you guys have one card left, you have to say uno, or it won't count and you won't win. If someone says uno before you when they realize you have uno, you have to pick up one, for your mistake."

"Hold up, is that even fair? Like what if the person forgot to say uno, and they have to pick up a card because they forgot." Cameron said, and Lucas raised an eyebrow.

"How can someone forget? The game is literally called uno" Lucas said and Emerson nodded in agreement "That's true."

"Okay fine, continue," Cameron said, and Lucas nodded.

"If someone places down a green nine, and I have four nines, I can place them all down because they're the same number. Regardless of the color. Also, you can't do a number sequence. Like we're able to place down all the nines we have if the card before was a nine, but if it's a six, we can't place down a seven if it's a different color. The reverses and blocks are self-explanatory so I don't really have to go into further explanation of those for you guys to understand them better. The only thing is just like the plus two, you can stack the reverses but keep track of which way the rotation was going first because if you forget, it'll be tricky to know who goes then. Especially, if someone puts down like four reverses."

"Oh! Also, there's a specific card that allows you to say as you wish. It's a wild card but it's blank. If you have it you can say the color red, also plus two, but don't exaggerate and say pick up the whole deck. It can also be used as a reverse, block, plus four, and even swapping cards with someone, even though there's already a card for that. But you can also choose to just use it for the changing of color so you don't have to use it to make someone pick up cards from the deck."

"It's cool how there's a card for that" Emerson said, and Lucas answered with a "Yeah"

"Anyways I'm pretty sure that's it"

They all nodded "Right so, who's going first?"