Chapter 24

"Turn on the car, I'll go grab my wallet," Lucas told Emerson, before heading up to his room to grab her wallet.

While Emerson was walking outside, went towards the driver's side then turned on the car before going towards the passenger seat. They turned on the heater since it was cold.

A couple of seconds later, the front door opened, Lucas left the house and walked towards the car.

The pizzeria was only a couple of minutes away so the drive there wasn't long. They both got out of the car, walking inside the pizzeria.

They went towards the front of the cashier. "Hi, can I help you?" One of the workers said.

"Yeah, I have an order for Lucas," She said, and the worker nodded. "It'll be done in like a few minutes so you can take a seat," They said, and both Lucas and Emerson nodded before walking to an empty table.

"Y'know, I'm happy you're becoming more social, it's nice to see you interacting. Not that you didn't make me happy before when you didn't interact with people, I'm just saying it's nice that you're getting out of your shell" Emerson snorted at Lucas rambling.

"Calm down, I know you mean it in a good way. Don't worry I'm glad too, besides Wilson isn't so bad and Cameron is funny." Emerson said honestly.

"You only think he's funny 'cause he's always being mean to me," Lucas said with an eye roll.

"Yeah, but we're only joking"

"I know, besides I don't care what they have to say, just what you have to say," Lucas said honestly and the tips of Emerson's ear turned bright red, they smiled slightly at her.

"You should really watch what you're saying," Emerson said before sighing, and Lucas furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why? I'm just being honest. Sorry if you can't handle my honesty" Lucas said with an eye roll.

"Shut up. I'm just saying you should be careful what you're saying"

"And why's that?" Lucas asked curiously, as he propped their elbow down at the table, resting his cheek on the palm of her hand.

"'Cause I said so, you're just saying stupid shit without- ugh without realizing what it even means"

"I don't know what I'm saying means? Lucas asked with a puzzled expression.

"Like you say stupid shit all the time when it comes to complimenting me, or saying what you just said about how you care about what I say but not what they say," Emerson said, trying to explain.

"Because what I'm saying is true! I mean the compliments, you're so pretty, and I value your opinion because you mean a lot to me" Lucas said carelessly and Emerson groaned.

"Shut up, stop the meaningless compliments," Emerson said resting their head on the table.

"Why? Do they make you uncomfortable?" Lucas asked with a slight frown and Emerson shook their head. "The opposite" Emerson mumbled, and Lucas rested their head on his arm as she looked at Emerson.

"The what? I didn't hear you" Lucas said and Emerson groaned in annoyance again. "I said it's just the fucking opposite" Before Lucas can say anything, the worker said the food was ready.

Lucas stood up and paid for the food then asked for a couple of plastic plates. "C'mon, and this conversation is not over, I'll need you to elaborate on what you said, Sugar."

"And here I thought you forgot about that horrid nickname," Emerson said, shoving their hands in their pocket as they left the pizzeria.

"'Course not, just didn't see the need in saying that in front of our friends, wouldn't want them thinking it the wrong way, y'know?" Emerson gave her a short nod.