Chapter 2

When I woke up the first thing I noticed was the comfortable mattress under my body. My hands brushed over the soft blanket, and I sighed, this wasn't my bed, it was Lady Dimitrescu's. "Ah you're awake" I heard Lady Dimitrescu say while she came through the door. I couldn't stop the smile, it was amusing seeing her walk through the doors, which were too small for her, but the moment she looked at me my smile was gone. "I brought you tea and something to eat, pet" she said and placed the tray in my lap. My cheeks reddened and a warm feeling spread through my chest. "Thank you Mistress" I whispered and looked down. The Lady towered over me when she said, "Look at me!" I had to crane my neck to look into her eyes. "You need to eat, when you want to go to the village tomorrow." I nodded and blushed, but then took the teacup in my hands, "Can I ask you a question pet?" I huffed silently but nodded, avoiding her eyes, and staring into my cup. "What was going on? I could sense your anxiety when I drank from you and your heart seemed to explode, then you fainted" she asked me, and my jaw tightened. Lady Dimitrescu grabbed my chin gently and lifted it up, she had sat down on the bed and was looking worriedly at me. "I was afraid I would die" I whispered, and looked away, but she squeezed my chin lightly and I looked back at her. "You don't need to be afraid of that, I would never kill you. Never" the last part was whispered but I heard it and then something unusual happened, she smiled at me, a real and loving smile, the one she reserved only for her daughters. In my stomach exploded a warm feeling, like butterflies and I gasped at the sensation. That was the moment I realized I had fallen for the Matriarch of House Dimitrescu. "Rest now, Lilith" she whispered and pushed me onto the mattress again and stood up to leave the room. When she was gone I sat up again and turned towards the tray with tea and food which was now placed on the nightstand next to the bed. I took the tray, emptied the teacup, and ate the food, then I laid down again and rolled to the side, grabbing the pillow next to me, inhaling her scent before I went back to my duties. It smelled like the Mistress, like tobacco, vanilla, and blood. At first I was scared when I got to know what Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters were, and what they do, but after a few months I got used to it, I mean they're doing it to survive and for the wine business and the smell of blood wasn't as disturbing and terrifying anymore, okay it was never terrifying for me, blood is part of our bodies after all.

I started as a normal maid when I got to the Castle, but after half a year Lady Dimitrescu promoted me to be her personal maid, she was impressed by my skills and my sense of duty. At the end of the day, I always had finished my duties and even helped the other maids with their chores. I was almost never ill, the few times I got sick I tried to continue working, but every time Lady Dimitrescu stopped me and made sure I was resting. One evening she heard me defend her in a fight with another maid who called her a monster, since then I was always at her side and got closer with her daughters as well.

They tried to murder me in my first week as a maid, but they learned quickly about my depression and anxiety. It was then that they made it their mission to always make me feel good, but they had to promise me they wouldn't tell Lady Dimitrescu about my illness. Sometimes I thought they spied on me, because there were flies around me, watching me and sitting sometimes on my shoulders and when I had a mental breakdown or a panic attack one of the daughters found me in a few seconds. All those thoughts were making me tired and with the smell of the Lady in my nose I fell asleep, so much for returning to my duties.