Chapter 3

The next morning, I woke up late, but I could sense another person in the room. My eyes shot open, and I needed a moment to remember where I was. Lady Dimitrescu sat at her vanity and applied her red lipstick when our eyes locked through the mirror. "Good morning pet" she said and saw how my eyes narrowed for a second. She had noticed my dislike for the name but found it funny and continued to call me that, it hurt sometimes. "Eat pet, Bela will accompany you to the village, to make sure nothing happens to you." "Yes Mistress" I whispered and took the new tray from the nightstand. She made sure I would eat everything and then I got ready in my own room. A knock on my door interrupted my thoughts while I got dressed and I went for the door to open it. "Hello Bela" I smiled at her but avoided her eyes. It's a habit from me that I can't look someone in the eyes, except the Lady of course, some would say it's rude but I'm just shy and it makes me nervous. "Mother told me I'm accompanying you to the village today" Bela said to me and walked into my room while I finished dressing. "Yes, she allowed me to visit my parents. I haven't seen them since I started working here last year." "Oh, Lilith I'm sorry to hear that, you must miss them terribly" Bela said understandingly, she couldn't imagine not seeing her mother every day. "Okay, I'm ready" I said and avoided her last sentence. Bela nodded and we walked towards the main hall, where Lady Dimitrescu sat on the lounge chair and drank her "tea." Another maid, Camilla was with her and served her today, and I felt a sting in my heart. Was that jealousy? I shook my head just as Lady Dimitrescu looked at me. "Enjoy your day with your parents pet" she said and looked at Bela, "don't come back to late, it's getting colder every day!" "Yes Mother" "Yes Mistress" Bela and I said at the same time and Lady Dimitrescu laughed quietly at that. If I hadn't seen her lips twitch upwards I would have thought I imagined her laugh, but it really happened. I was the only maid who called Lady Dimitrescu "Mistress," the first time I called her by that name she gasped, and I swear I saw a blush on her cheeks. Since then, I continued to call her Mistress. "Let's go" Bela said and grabbed my hand to pull me out of the door. Her cape twirled around her hip, and I saw her sickle attached to it. "Safety first" I thought.

The trip to the village wasn't long, only 10 minutes and we stood at the edge of the village. "Okay, let's do this" I whispered more to myself then to Bela. She squeezed my hand, and I was grateful for that. We walked towards the house my parents were living in, and I knocked on the door. "Mother? Father? Are you here? It's me! Lilith!" No answer, but the door was slightly open, and I stepped through it. A horrible smell reached my nose and I had to gag, when I saw what caused the smell a loud scream left my lips, and I broke down. My home was destroyed and the bodies from my parents laid in front of me, ripped to pieces. "NO" I screamed loudly and wanted to cry but I couldn't, it was like a blockade, no tear came. Numbness took over my body and I couldn't move anymore, Bela pulled me into a hug and pressed me into her body. She hugged me tightly and whispered something in my ear, but I couldn't understand her. We heard a growl upstairs and Bela pulled me out of the house. "We need to get away from here, that was probably a Lycan, and I think it's still in there. I'm so sorry Lilith" Bela had tears in her eyes, but I was far away. My brain stopped working and I couldn't move or react to what she wanted from me. She pulled me towards her and held me against her body, while she transformed into her pile of flies and brought us back to the castle. We reached the castle in less than five minutes, and we stumbled through the door. Lady Dimitrescu was still on her lounge chair and jumped up when she saw us. "What is going on? Why are you two back already?" She came towards us with fast steps and crouched down. Bela was breathing fast, but I stared into nothing. My face was pale and eyes red, but still no tears. "Bela what's going on?" She asked her daughter while observing me for any injuries. I was in trance; I heard the words but couldn't process them. My mind was far away, I'm not on this planet at the moment. Another voice reached my ears, but I couldn't understand them. "Lilith's parents were killed by Lycans and there was still one in the house, we had to go immediately!" Bela told her mother, and she grabbed my chin gently trying that I would look at her, but my eyes were empty, unfocused, and I didn't even notice her touch. "I'll take her to her room" she muttered, and Bela nodded swarming off, probably to search her sisters. Lady Dimitrescu lifted me up into her arms and brought me to my room. She tried to talk to me, but I wasn't there yet, and my eyes closed, I was exhausted. I'm not sure if I fell asleep or if I fainted. She reached my room and placed me on my bed, her hands brushing over my curves. She smiled a little and admired my body but shook her head, this wasn't the right time. Lady Dimitrescu stayed at my side the whole time I was asleep, but when I woke up she was gone.