Chapter 7

Thenext morning, I woke up with a burning feeling at my thighs and groaned. It wasthe first time I regretted that I lost control and cut this deep, but nonetheless I wanted to do something today. I walked into the maids bathroom and washed my body, then changed into my maid dress and walked to Lady Dimitrescu's chambers with a duster. With a knock on her door, I waited for her response, when it came I walked into her bedroom and greeted her without a smile. She eyed me and tried to see any bandages but couldn't see any, I didn't know this of course and didn't even think about the bandages. My dress was long enough to hide them, and I started my work, grabbing her dress and helping her into it, then buttoned it up and grabbed my duster. I stood at the stepladder and dusted the top of her vanity, I had to stretch, and my dress pushed up with my movement, revealing my bandages. "Lilith, what happened" Lady Dimitrescu's voices frightened me, I stumbled backwards and nearly fell down the ladder. She caught me before I hit the ground and pushed my dress a little bit further upmy thighs, revealing my bandages even more. I had forgotten to change them, andthey were soaked with blood. She sat me down on her vanity chair and kneeled infront of me. "What happened Lilith?" she asked again and caressed my cheek.Hurt bubbled up in my chest and I whispered "Nothing Alcina" and ran out of herroom. Lady Dimitrescu was speechless for a moment that I called her by her first name, but then tried to catch me, but I was gone. She sighed and made her way to Ingrid for a talk, she found her in the kitchen and said, "Ingrid do you have a moment for me?" "Yes my Lady" she said and walked out of the kitchen andfollowed Lady Dimitrescu to her study. She sat down on a chair and lit a cigarette, "What's wrong with Lilith? What happened to her? She has bandages on her thighs and I'm worried." The Lady refused to tell Ingrid that she already knew what was troubling me and waited for Ingrid to tell her everything. "I don't know if it's my place to tell you" Ingrid mumbled and looked at her hands. "Well, it's an order!" "If you insist my Lady! Lilith cut herself with her dagger last night after she saw you with Isobel earlier that day. She was hurt and sad, because she thought that she is someone special to you and she hates that you call her pet, the name is humiliating in her eyes. She suffers from depression and uses self-harm to stop her thoughts. The girls and me knew about this since the beginning of her work here, well Daniela and me are the only ones who knew about the self-harm, and we tried to be there for her but sometimes it's impossible and she hides it really good. Sometimes it's almost impossible to tell if she's actually happy or just acting, but then there are new scars on her body, and we know the truth." "But why hasn't she told me about this?" "Honestly, my Lady? Lilith was afraid to be a disappointment for you and that you would throw her out or kill her for her weakness" Ingrid said,and the Lady gasped, "I would never do this to her!" "Depression doesn't care if someone means no harm, the thoughts you get are heavier than kind words from people that love you! Her thoughts make Lilith believe something else, the girls tried to get her to talk to you, but Lilith wouldn't listen to them."Lady Dimitrescu nodded and excused Ingrid, she had to think now.