Pancakes

Wanda’s eyes flutter open, confusion swirling around her head as she tries to get her bearings. Her brows scrunch when she looks at the plain walls and closed grey curtains. A look of realisation crosses her face when she remembers what had happened. She must still be in Natasha's room, she thought. Her question was answered when she felt a small tug around her waist. 

Lifting the covers of the bed she sees a protective arm wrapped around her waist, and she can now register the soft breathing of someone behind her. She knew it was Natasha and it made her smile. Wanda had never seen this side of her, well not for a long time, and never having her hold her while she sleeps.

"She still has her soft side." Wanda mutters to herself. 

She doesn't try to get out of Natasha's hold, enjoying the feeling of being in safe arms. Wanda does turn her head so she can look through the corner of her eyes at the sleeping woman behind her. She can't see much as Natasha's head is nestled between her shoulder blades, but the red hair Wanda can see allows her assumptions to be confirmed. She fell asleep in the Russians bed after their little emotional catch-up. 

Wanda freezes when she hears Natasha grumble in her sleep but a small smile takes over her lips when she feels the grip on her waist tighten more securely. Wanda thinks about how this should be weird, her and Natasha had never once hugged in the past three years; well not for a long time. Not since Sokovia. 

Wanda looks back, smiling at the memories of how Natasha comforted her as she watched the city fall from the helicarrier. How Natasha's arms held her back as she screamed into the sky, leaning back into Natasha's embrace as she broke down. Her brother was being operated on, her home was falling to earth, the life she had always known destroyed in the blink of an eye. There she was on the floor, Natasha sat behind her holding her tightly as she broke down.

Wanda rubs her palms against her face trying to see where it all went wrong. Only really having herself to blame when she started pulling away from Natasha. It had only been a few weeks since the Sokovia ordeal, and Wanda could hear Natasha struggle with her nightmares. Sometimes they were so loud she would have to endure watching them with Natasha, so she pulled away. She couldn't help but blame herself for the pain Natasha was going through, and it wasn't fair that she had to comfort Wanda. Wanda may have lost her home but Natasha seemed to have lost some of her sanity. 

And that was Wanda's fault. 

So she stopped eating meals with the Avengers, avoided the embraces Natasha would try to instigate but missed the hurt on the woman's face when she did so. Wanda was not only hurting herself, but Natasha too. However, she was so blinded by the fear of her own powers and what they could do, what they had done, she never realised she was doing more bad than good. 

Natasha's nightmares soon calmed down, the timing of them doing so only made Wanda pull further away believing she has been the reason for them all along. Wanda was so lost in the past she hadn't realised that Natasha had awoken from her sleep, shuffling around a little as she too woke up a little discombobulated.

"Friday. What's the time?" Wanda jumps slightly at Natasha's sudden voice. "It's okay honey it's just me." 

"It is 3pm, Miss Romanoff." Both Natasha's and Wanda’s brows scrunch at this information. 

"What day is it Friday?" Wanda's voice is full of rasp from just waking up and her accent that she didn't hide in the compound.

"It is Tuesday the 14th of March, Miss Maximoff." 

"We've been asleep for the whole day?" Wanda groans to herself turning around to face Nat, sliding herself down a little so she can bury her head into her neck; slapping Nat lightly as she laughs at the situation.