Friends in Low Places

Chapter Text

Sirius didn’t know a lot about muggle drugs. Beyond a little bit of experimenting in the past, it really wasn’t his area of expertise. The irony of it was that Remus would probably know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. Which, the more Sirius thought about it, the more frightening that thought became. How could he do something so stupid? He had to have known what would happen.

Remus’ breathing was growing increasingly shallow. Sirius felt his pulse. It was steady, but weak. He had no idea what to do. Lily might know what to do but she couldn’t leave the house. James and Peter would both know even less than him.

He tapped Remus’ cheek a few times, calling out his name, trying to keep him alert. He was completely unresponsive.

Dorcas. Of course, she was a healer. She’d know what to do.

Sirius grabbed a handful of flu powder by the fireplace and tossed it in. A moment later he was looking into Marlene and Dorcas’ living room. He called out. Marlene appeared, kneeling in front of the fireplace, alarmed.

“Marley, I need you to get Dory, now!”

“She’s at work! What’s wrong Sirius? What happened?” she inquired frantically.

“Fuck. Just- does she have a healing kit at home?”

Marlene nodded.

“Good, grab it and flu over to the flat. Now!” he added when she didn’t move right away.

Marlene didn’t ask questions, she just got up and ran. Sirius pulled his head out of the fireplace and went to sit back beside Remus. A minute later, the fireplace was alight with bright green flames. Marlene stepped out, medical bag in hand.

She let out a gasp as she saw Remus, almost dropping the bag. She ran to his side, dropping to her knees beside Sirius, who was gripping his partners hand with an iron grip, trying to shake him awake. Remus’ lips were starting to turn blue. He wasn't breathing.

“What happened?” she asked urgently, unzipping the bag.

“He took these along with most of a bottle of Firewhisky,” said Sirius frantically, handing over the empty blister packet.

Marlene took the packet. Her eyes widened.

“How many of these did he take?”

“I don’t know. Could’ve been the whole packet.”

“When did this happen?”

“I don’t know. I wasn’t… I wasn’t home. I found him about twenty or thirty minutes ago, but he was sitting up and talking then.”

Marlene just nodded. She dug through the bag and pulled out a few small potion bottles. She uncorked one and tipped it into Remus’ mouth.

“Healing potion, should help sober him up and keep him breathing.”

The effect was almost immediate. Remus took a deep, shuddering breath and his color started returning. She uncorked another bottle and tipped it into his mouth, speaking as she did.

“Awakening potion. It will stop him from falling asleep for at least the next ten hours. Keep him awake and alert long enough for everything to work its way out of his system. It’ll take about a minute to kick in. Be prepared, he’s going to have a hell of a hangover.”

They both sat in silence for the next minute, just watching him. All of a sudden, his eyes flew open and he sat up, clutching at his chest and gasping, ripping his hand from Sirius' in the process.