[ 10. ]

II x. crazy satyr's... II

SO MUCH WAS happening as soon as Andromeda woke up. First, she was greeted to the sight of a hyperactive satyr and a screaming Jason.

She abruptly sat up, her eyes scanned her surroundings, awkwardly realizing her friends weren't the only ones in the room. A man in bunny slippers was staring horrifyingly at a satyr who was raising a club in his hand.

"Coach!" Jason shouted. "Bring it down a few notches!"

Over the satyr's yells and jeers towards Mr. Bunny slippers, a younger man charged into the room. He was dressed in pajama pants with a sleeveless T-shirt that said cornhuskers, and he held a sword that looked like it could husk a lot of things besides corn. His ripped arms were covered in scars, and his face, framed by curly dark hair, was all sliced and scarred. It looked pretty badass in Andromeda's opinion, but she thought it was best to keep it to herself when he ran towards Jason with his sword raised.

"Hold on!" Piper stepped forward. "This is just a misunderstanding! Everything's fine."

Lit stopped in his tracks, but he still looked wary. It didn't help that Hedge was screaming, "I'll get them! Don't worry!"

"Coach," Jason pleaded, "they may be friendly. Besides, we're trespassing in their house."

"Thank you!" said the old man in the bathrobe. "Now, who are you, and why are you here?"

"Let's all put our weapons down," Piper said. "Coach, you first."

Hedge clenched his jaw. "Just one thwack?"

"No," Piper said.

"What about a compromise? I'll kill them first, and if it turns out they were friendly, I'll apologize."

"No!" Piper insisted.

"Meh." Coach Hedge lowered his club, pouting like a child deprived of its favorite stuffed animal. Piper gave them an apologetic smile, but Andromeda didn't miss the way Jason tensed beside her (gods, why were boys so complex? They're either jealous or oblivious, never in between).

Lit huffed and sheathed his sword. "You speak well, girl -fortunately for your friends, or I would've run them through."

"Appreciate it," Leo said. "I try not to get run through before lunchtime."

The old man sighed, kicking the teapot that Coach Hedge had smashed. "Well, since you're here. Please, sit down."

Lit frowned. "Your Majesty-"

"No, no, it's fine, Lit," the old man said. "New land, new customs. They may sit in my presence. After all, they've seen me in my nightclothes. No sense observing formalities." He did his best to smile, though it looked a little forced. "Welcome to my humble home. I am King Midas."

Andromeda tried to cover her snicker. Midas looked over to her with a frown. "Is something funny, dear?"

"What-?" She sat straighter. "No, I just thought you said humble even though this house is literally made of-" All of her friends looked over to her with a glare. She shut up.

"Midas?" Coach Hedge asked. "Impossible. He died."

The group was seated back on the sofa (except Andromeda, who had already been laying in the same spot from just waking up). King Midas, as he called himself, sat on the chair in the middle of them all and Andromeda realized why it was there. It looked like a throne.