[ 17. ]

II xvii. the giant... II

IT ONLY TOOK a couple seconds for everything to turn to shit.

Piper and Alabaster scrambled along the ridge, trying to keep their heads down, while Leo, Andromeda, Jason, and Coach Hedge walked straight into the clearing.

Jason summoned his golden lance. He brandished it over his head and yelled, "Giant!"

That was the moment Andromeda started to second guess their plan. Maybe it would have been better if she had moved along with Piper and her brother (or maybe she was just saying that to avoid the embarrassment she felt when Jason had opened his stupid mouth).

Enceladus stopped chanting at the flames. He turned toward them and grinned, revealing fangs like a saber-toothed tiger. "Well," the giant rumbled. "What a nice surprise."

"Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake!" Coach Hedge shouted. "Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your-"

"Coach," Jason said. "Shut up."

The giant roared with laughter. "I've forgotten how funny satyrs are. When we rule the world, I think I'll keep your kind around. You can entertain me while I eat all the other mortals."

"Is that a compliment?" Hedge looked at the two demigods. "I don't think that was a compliment."

Enceladus opened his mouth wide, and his teeth began to glow.

"Scatter!" Leo yelled.

Jason and Hedge dove to the left while Andromeda ducked right as the giant blew fire-a furnace blast so hot even Festus would've been jealous.

The fire burned her back, definitely leaving a dark mark on her shirt. She huffed, angrily spinning back to the giant. "Hey, asshole, I like this outfit so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't burn it!"

In the background, Andromeda could hear Coach say, "Yeah, what she said!" The giant turned to her, face full of amusement. "Ah, Andromeda Johnson!" He bellowed, canine like teeth shining like rust. "I've heard much about you and your sharp tongue."

Before she could speak, Enceladus raised his spear above his head-then slammed it against the ground. The entire mountain shook. Andromeda was knocked off her own feet. Within seconds her back hit the ground and pain erupted from her body.

"I see you, Piper McLean!" The giant bellowed in the distance. His muffled voice became clearer as the ringing in Andromeda's ears subsided, but she just couldn't seem to move. The shock-wave the giant sent had definitely done its job.

She breathed out, forcing the smoke from her lungs, and turned on her side. Her vision returned and her eyes focused on the bushes near her. Two furry hindquarters were sticking out in the air-Coach Hedge had been (quite literally) knocked off his butt.

Coughing once more, she turned again so her stomach was to the ground. She forced her body up, stumbling on her own two feet.

"Andromeda!" A faraway voice shouted.

Or maybe it wasn't far away at all. Cold hands came on either side of her arms. Dim green eyes and a freckled face stared back at her. Alabaster. His mouth was moving, but her brain felt fuzzy.

She blinked. Once. Twice. "What?"

The more he spoke, the clearer he became. "Andromeda, are you alright? Can you hear me?"

How long had she been on the ground? "Alabaster..."

Before her brother had a chance to reply, a vicious roar ripped through the air. The pair turned to see Enceladus-a hideous smile on his face.