[ 18. ]

II xviii. blown up helicoptors... II

WHEN THEY landed in Oakland airport, the tension was thick. Coach Hedge had already agreed to take Mr. Mclean home (much to Piper's surprise) but Andromeda could tell the girl was grateful for it. And as Andromeda watched the awkwardness between the father and daughter, she'd decided to usher the boys to the side to give them a bit more privacy.

But she still watched from afar. She didn't mean to seem nosy or anything...but she'd never even had a real parent before. Well, actually that was a lie. She had Sally Jackson-Percy's mother. That lady could make a hell of a brownie, and she always knew how to cheer the girl up. But long before the Jacksons, she had never had any real parent. One that cared for her like Piper's father did. And it sucked. Big time. Hands fell on her shoulders and she looked up to see her brother. A sad smile rested on his face.

Looking back over, Andromeda watched as Piper handed her dad a pink vial. He uncapped it, and drank every last drop. She watched as they hugged for the last time, and he slumped forward. The group ran forward to help.

"Got him," Coach Hedge said. The satyr stumbled, but he was strong enough to hold Tristan McLean upright. "I already asked our ranger friend to call up his plane. It's on the way now. Home address?"

Piper paused. She looked down to her father and reached into his pocket, pulling out a BlackBerry. "Everything's on here," She said. "Address, his chauffeur's number. Just watch out for Jane."

Hedge's eyes lit up, like he sensed a possible fight. "Who's Jane?"

Hedge and the flight attendant got Piper's dad on board. Then Hedge came down one last time to say his good-byes. He gave Piper a hug and Andromeda a hug and high-five. Then he glared at Jason, Alabaster, and Leo. "You cupcakes take care of these girls, you hear? Or I'm gonna make you do push-ups."

"You got it, Coach," Leo said, a smile tugging at his mouth.

"No push-ups," Jason promised.

"I'll see you later, Coach." Andromeda sniffled. Though Coach Hedge was a very violent satyr, he and Andromeda always seemed to get along. "Love ya,"

"Ditto, kid." He winked, allowing her to give him another high-five for the road. Then he turned to Alabaster. "Glad you took my advice."

Alabaster shook his head with a grin. "Yeah, thanks Coach."

"Thank you, Gleeson." Piper said, head still attempting to find her dad past Hedge. "Take care of him, please."

"I got this, McLean," he assured her. "They got root beer and veggie enchiladas on this flight, and one hundred percent linen napkins-yum! I could get used to this."

Trotting up the stairs, he lost one shoe, and his hoof was visible for just a second. The flight attendant's eyes widened, but she looked away and pretended nothing was wrong.

When the plane was heading down the runaway, Piper started to cry. Andromeda smiled sadly, bringing Piper's sobbing face up and wiping her tears. "Your dad will be fine, Piper."

"Yeah," Jason agreed. "He's in good hands. You did amazing."

"Yeah, I know," The tears were still rolling.

So Andromeda hugged her. Wrapping the younger girl up in her arms and holding her close as Piper allowed herself to be held. Sheepishly, the boys moved in and crowded the two girls-all bringing her in a giant big hug. Piper smiled weakly, soon her sobs turning to small sniffles.