Our Last Family Dinner.

" What do you want for dinner tommorow night Lane?"

" I choose daddy!" The toddler said excitedly.

" Yeah buddy you get to choose." TK willed his voice not to crack or show negative emotion in any way.

_________________________________________________________________

TK's POV

"Up, up, up, up!"

I could here Carlos's voice from the living room where he was playing with Lane.

Well you could call it playing, I prefered to call it dangerously throwing around a 3-year old, our opinions differed though.

Dad and I were stationed in the kitchen cooking a buffet of foods my toddler suggested we eat.

Such as, macaroni and cheese, hotdogs, and fruit punch. Not particularly my, or Carlos's cup of tea, but it's not like this dinner was for us.

•~•~

Carlos and I sat on either side of Lane, my dad sat to my right at the head of the table and Carlos's parents sat across from us.

It was the farthest from a traditional dinner I've ever seen. People stood up to act out parts of stories, no one tried keeping their elbows off the table, and someone always had their phone out, taking pictures or videos or showing off pictures or videos.

No one seemed upset at everyone else's lack of manners, everyone just ate their hotdogs and their Mac and cheese and embraced the youthful atmosphere.

It was a nice night but it wasn't hard to see everyone's smile shrink slightly when Gabriel pulled Carlos aside later that night to ask about when the court date was and who our lawyer was.

I personally tried to ignore Andreas pity filled stare that she was noticeably trying to hide behind a smile.

After dinner Lane was very excited to show his 'Abwela' his bedroom with all his toys.

"que dulce chico." I could here Gabriel say to Carlos quietly.
"What a sweet boy"

•~•~

Gabriel and Andrea tried to stay for as long as they could, but they eventually had to leave.

Lane was falling asleep on the couch so, I picked him up to start getting him ready for bed.

His head flopped on my shoulder as I carried him to his room.

"Daddy I'm sleepy!" He whined loudly.

"I know buddy. We're going to bed." I told him softly.

Once I'd carried him to his room I sat Lane an his bed, and knelt next to his dresser, reaching for his pajamas.

Lane complied while I helped him change him into his pajamas.

I helped him under the covers and kissed his cheek.

"I love you daddy." Lane said with a tired smile on his face.

"I love you too baby." I smiled widely down at my son, before having to leave the room to let him sleep.

I stepped out of Lanes room and saw an interesting scene in the living room.

My dad was standing in front of Carlos who was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.

"What's going on?" I asked as I walked towards the two of them.

Carlos lifted his head from his hands and looked up at me.

"Your dad just told me something about the Matthews family." Carlos said quietly.

"What?" I sat next to Carlos on the couch.

My dad sighed.

"TK you can't let these people take that boy." He said, shaking his head.

"Elaborate." I leant closer to dad as he spoke.

"Well the other day at the station, I looked up Beatrices name, and a bunch of articles came up. Apparently Beatrice has been running away from home since she was twelve."

"Why?" I asked silently.

"Well the articles never said exactly why she was running away, but a couple of them had quotes from her father, William."

"You think she was running away from him?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's just the way he talked about her. It's not how parents talk about their kids."

I heard Carlos take a shaky breath from beside me.

"I can't believe these are the people trying to take our son away." Carlos said before standing from the couch and walking away towards our bedroom.

I pushed back the urge to vomit and followed Carlos to our room.

A/N

So I'm sorry I haven't been updating lately, I've just had some family problems lately but it's whatever.