Epilogue

Owen's POV

I leaped from my car, keys in hand to the front door of TK and Carlos' house.

I let myself in and was met with the sight of Lane sitting at the dining table munching away.

"Hi buddy!" I greeted him from behind.

He turned towards me in his chair with a bright smile on his face.

"Gandpa!" He shouted.

I gave him a short hug before sitting with him at the table.

"Hey dad." TK said as he entered the room carrying a Paw Patrol themed lunch box with him.

"I got your lunch for today ready to go baby." He said to Lane, while taking a seat at the table.

"Ok daddy." Lane said before continuing to munch happily on his cereal.

Carlos entered the room and took a seat next to TK.

"Abuela and Abuelo told me to wish you good luck on your first day of school." Carlos told Lane.

"Hey Owen. When did you get here?"

"Just now," I told Carlos, "I wanted to see my grandson on his first day of school."

"Are you excited baby?" TK asked Lane curiously.

"Yes!" Lane responded with a huge smile.

Lane's already four years old and going off to his first day of preschool.

He seemed excited enough, but I was able to see a hint of worry cross TK's face.

"Oh that's nice." TK said to Lane with an obviously fake smile.

...

"Are you sure?" He asked him quietly.

"He'll be fine." Carlos said to TK sternly.

"If you don't feel ready baby you know that we can wait till next year." TK told Lane.

"Daddy I wanna go to school." Lane said to TK.

"That's settled then." Carlos told TK.

TK reached out and combed Lane's hair with his fingers.

"Whatever you say." TK said with a smile.

"I think Lane is going to be fine." I said to TK.

"Hey bud finish your breakfast we have to get going soon." Carlos told Lane.

"Ok papa."

"Did you get his backpack ready?" TK asked Carlos.

"Uh yeah." Carlos answered.

"Where is it?" He asked again.

"I think I left it in his room." Carlos responded.

"You think?" TK said harshly.

"You know what. I'll go get it." Carlos told TK while standing from the table.

"TK, relax." I told him in what I hoped was a comforting tone.

He locked eyes with me for a moment, and let out a steady breath.

TK turned towards Lane and spoke with a gentle smile, "I don't know what I'm gonna do all day without you baby."

"You still have me." Carlos said while walking back in the room holding Lane's Paw Patrol back pack that matches his lunchbox.

"Well I'm gonna miss my boy." TK told Carlos while he rubbed up and down Lane's arm gently.

Carlos chuckled quietly at TK. "He'll be fine babe." Carlos said.

"Are you ready to go buddy?" Carlos asked Lane with a huge smile on his face.

"Yeah!" Lane shouted happily in response.

"Alright lets get goin." Carlos said while helping Lane down from his chair.

"Yup, come on dad." TK said to me while standing and grabbing Lane's lunchbox from the table.

Everyone piled in the car, Carlos was driving, TK insisted on sitting in the back seat with Lane, and I sat in the passenger seat next to Carlos.

"You're gonna make so many new friends at school baby." I heard TK say to Lane from the back seat.

Lane giggled in response then proceeded to ramble about his excitement to meet his teachers and other kids.

I could see TK smiling and listening intently in the rearview mirror.

We pulled up to the elementary school and all got out of the car.

Carlos and TK both took one of Lane's hands and started walking in with him.

I took a photo of them from behind before jogging to catch up with the three of them.

I walked on TK's left glancing over occasionally to see his eyes focused on Lane the entire time.

Once inside the school building all three of us were given permission to walk Lane to his classroom.

Carlos led the way, while holding the piece of paper with Lane's classroom written on it. TK and Lane held hands walking behind him and I noticed Lane excitedly skipping while it looked as though TK was dragging his feet. Lane pulled him though till he willingly walked at a faster pace.

Once we reached the door to Lane's new classroom he could hardly stand still. TK and Carlos both kneeled next to him to look him in the eyes.

"I hope you have fun today." TK said to Lane in a soft voice while looking into his eyes. TK pulled Lane into a close hug and kissed his head, "I love you." He said into Lane's ear.

"I love you too daddy." Lane spoke.

TK pulled away from Lane after one more kiss and then it was Carlos' turn.

"Are you gonna be good today?" Carlos asked cheekily.

"Yes." Lane responded.

"Ok." Carlos said while nodding with a smile.

"I love you." He said to the toddler before pulling him into a hug.

"I love you." Lane echoed.

Carlos pulled away slightly just enough to look Lane in the eyes, "I love you more."

"I love you more." Lane said with a giggle.

"Not possible." Carlos said before pulling Lane close again and kissing his cheek.

The teacher walks into the hall to introduce herself at this time, after a couple minutes conversation her and Lane walk into the classroom hand in hand waving goodbye.

"We should've waited till next year." I hear TK mumble next to me.

"He's going to be fine." Carlos says back.

...

He was fine, better than fine actually.

When Lane was picked up from his first day of school he already had dozens of stories to share about his new best friend's Henry and Danielle.

A/N: So that's it, the epilogue. I hope you all enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. The characters finally get to live happily ever after. I'm pretty anti-sequel for this story but maybe there will be follow up oneshots or something. We'll see. Please follow me to see my other works and upcoming stories. Thank You.