Chapter One: A Miracle Returned

Catherine awoke quite well-rested and excited to see Colombia for the magic she was promised.

She was quick to dress in her usual attire, plus a hat. She met Alma and Mr John Ralph for a quick breakfast.

"Will we be able to explore outside the city today, Mr Ralph?" Catherine asked.

"What did I say yesterday, Catherine? Please, just call me John."

"Of course, my apologies."

"And not today, unfortunately. Take a look around the city! Learn, see, enjoy, shop! I hear you women love to shop."

Catherine could only sigh in her annoyance as she sipped her morning tea.

"Alma, please take care of our guest and help her with all her needs for the day," Mr John Ralph said with a warm smile.

"Yes, sir."

"Well, I have other engagements I must attend to. Catherine, I do promise that tomorrow we will leave the city borders and you can see what you've come here to see. For now, enjoy Colombia."

Once he had left the room, Catherine looked at Alma who was standing by the wall, waiting.

"Take the day off," Catherine said.

"Mr Ralph said-"

"I heard. He said you're to help me with my needs. I need you to take the day off. I'm a grown woman and can look after myself."

Alma nodded and left the room. Once Catherine had cleaned up, she grabbed her bag and left to explore the city.

Though never considered herself one for shopping, Catherine quickly fell in love with the country's fashion. She found herself purchasing some of the dresses before finding somewhere she could have tea and draw.

Catherine's eyes were constantly drawn to the mountains she could see. There was something magical about them, other than the fact Alma had warned her that no one had ever been able to cross the mountains. Curiosity and wonder rattled her bones. She must have drawn at least two art pieces of the mountains before she returned to the house for tea and supper.

Mr John Ralph hadn't returned to the house yet, and Alma was back to work.

Catherine was enjoying her art on the balcony when suddenly the world was shaking around her. It wasn't the strongest earthquake she had witnessed in her life, but it was strong enough for Catherine to consider getting off the balcony on the second floor. Until right before her eyes, she watched something absolutely terrifying and magnificent at the same time.

One of the mountains that had her attention all day, opened up like the red sea. When the shaking stopped, Catherine still couldn't take her eyes from the entirely split mountain.

"Miss Catherine?" Alma said walking into the room. "Are you okay? Mr Ralph was concerned for you over the shake."

"That wasn't my first earthquake. Alma, are you seeing this?" Catherine asked.

"Pardon, Miss?"

"The mountain! It's split right in half!"

Alma joined Catherine on the balcony and looked towards the mountain.

"I hope no one was hurt in the landslide," Alma muttered.

"Aren't you curious? Perhaps you could now venture beyond them and find your father's family."

"Miss Catherine, I imagine a crack in the mountain would not stop the curse of the mountain," Alma said heavily. "I accepted long ago that I would never meet my father's family because of those mountains."